Chapter Thirteen

SELENA

A week earlier

"You're staying in the dressing room this time. I don't want you going all mental like before," I tell Anna.

"What? Why? He was setting you up, for a bogus story. Like who does that?"

"Anna, I will be okay this time around. It's with Diane Sawyer this time. She's well-known and respected; my story will be heard, and the truth will finally be released." I brush my hair, looking at her through the mirror.

"No, it won't if you keep calling Violet a friend instead of your sister. Why are you protecting her? Clearly, she isn't protecting you. I know I can be a bit much, and I am working on that, but come on, Sel, you deserve better than this crap." Anna isn't happy about the whole friend story. she wants me to come clean, but I can't do it. 

"Selena, five minutes," a man knocks on the door to remind me.

"Everything will work out fine. Trust me."

"I trust you with my life, you know that. But some things you have to work on." She sighs. I know where she is going with this, but seriously it's like the pot calling the kettle black right now. After all, she talked about her sex life on live television.

"Then hush up, and watch me make this right again. Karina already wants me to can you for that stunt." I've been told on more than one occasion to can Anna. Karina even threatened to get rid of me if I didn't get rid of Anna. I let Karina know Anna and I are a package deal; she wasn't so happy about it. However, she didn't want to get rid of me as much as she said she would.

"Noted. I just hope everything works out for you. I did something that might make this right, but then again it will probably backfire. I'm always screwing up. Sorry, Sel." She leans back on the couch, closing her eyes. I know this is hard for her too. She is like my protector, the sister I always needed, but at times she doesn't think before she speaks or does things, and it always has the same outcome...more drama.

I try to cheer her up. "Look, after the show, we will go out for ice cream or something. We are going to get through this...we aren't just boss and assistant; you're my best friend—a sister to me." A look of uncertainty plasters across her face. "I will see you in an hour." I pat her knee and exit the room.

The interview is going great. I feel like I have gotten everything off my chest, but the elephant in the room still hasn't been addressed. Terminating the pregnancy. I knew that was going to be the last thing we talked about because Diane said she wanted to end on a powerful note.

"So, I know the world still wants to know about the pregnancy, in your earlier years. But first I would like to introduce our special guest."

I hear the audience clapping, and then I look to my right. Violet is heading on stage. This can't be happening. I pinch myself to see if I'm dreaming. This can't be real. I stand up to hug her. Has she come to make me look like a liar once again?

"Violet, what are you doing here?" I whisper in her ear.

"I have to make this right," she whispers back, then takes a seat on the couch.

"Ladies and gentlemen, this is Selena's older sister Violet. So, Violet, tell us why you are here?"

It is like I'm having an out-of-body experience. Violet is here, to tell the truth. She is coming clean and clearing my name. I want to say something, anything, but nothing comes out. I just stare at my sister; I can see her mouth moving, but her words aren't hitting my ears. All I can hear is my heart pounding hard.