Chapter Nine

I knew the paparazzi would find out about our past, but I didn't think they would have it by the time I exited the restaurant that night.

"Is it true you and Caleb were college lovers?"

"Did you two break up before or after your move to LA?"

"Are you two trying to rekindle your romance?"

"Why did he leave so early? Did you two get in a fight?"

"How do you feel about Evelyn?"

Then there was the question that started the worse rumor of my career thus far...

"Is it true you terminated a pregnancy seven years ago? Was it Caleb's baby?"

Karina hasn't been happy for the past two weeks since this all started. She's threatened to quit at least once a day. I should have been honest with her about everything, including my termination from my previous agent. I told her it was all lies, which it was. However, a sneaky little bastard went to Missouri and got a hold of the medical papers. Now every magazine, blog, and news station has run the story.

My mother is now out for blood...my blood. I look at my suitcases in the corner of the room. After today's photoshoot, I'm catching a plane to Missouri for a week. There was no negotiating with my mother, if she demands to see you, then that is what you do, drop everything.

"Hey." Anna walks into my dressing room. She has been trying her hardest to keep me happy, but I don't deserve it right now. As much as I want a pity party—I just can't. Eventually, this was going to come out.

"Hey."

"Caleb just arrived on set, and they will be ready for you in twenty minutes. Are you ok?" She closes the door behind her, her movements are calculated as she treads towards me.

"I'm not going to break, Anna." I lean back on the couch, rubbing my temples.

"Your body language tells a different story. Have you been sleeping?"

"Yes, what kind of question is that? Anna, I'm fine; you don't have to baby me. This is my problem, not yours."

"You're my best friend before anything else. Your problems are mine too...not only because I'm your friend, but also because I'm your personal assistant. I know you better than anyone else. I know you're having an internal battle about everything, but once you go home and talk to your mother and Violet things will get better."

"It's easier said than done, especially with Violet." How will I be able to face them both?

"But it—"

"Just leave it, Anna. I will speak to them both about the situation. Just let me rest before the shoot." I close my eyes, willing away my tears. I wouldn't be called a baby killer now if I had done things differently seven years ago and had just listened to my gut. If I just stood up for myself once, I wouldn't have to worry about it in the years to come.

There is a light knock on the door, and the director pops her head inside. I wouldn't be here right now if it weren't for Karina, so I'm trying to stay on my best behavior with the crew and photographer. After the news broke out, I lost a few TV roles and almost this shoot.

"Ms. Lane, we would like to take pictures of you first while we wait for Mr. Hemsworth." She smiles at me. "Are you ready?"

"Yes." Anna and I both stand up, leaving the room. As we walk into the room, I can see the judgment in some people's eyes, but no one treats me differently. I honestly don't think they could afford to treat me differently at the moment. They were here to do a job and that was it.