25: Connor

"Thanks for driving us, Ri

"Thanks for driving us, Ri. Are you gonna stay at the beach jam the whole time?"

Sydney's cousin Riley was absolutely one of the funniest people I had ever met. The second I got in the car she had asked for every single bit of personal information I had to offer, including my I.D. and social security number, and had poked fun at Sydney for opting to sit in the back of the car with me instead of in the front seat with her.

"Yeah, I think I'll hang out for a little bit. Don't worry, I'll be back by midnight to pick you guys up...and I might have picked up a cute Greentown guy along the way."

Sydney rolled her eyes.

"Riley thinks she's hot stuff, when in reality she is far better at making fun of guys and turning them away than actually picking them up."

"It's not my fault that all the nasty guys are attracted to me. I'll just have to find a good one from Greentown." Riley shrugged, making a sharp left turn and throwing me into Sydney. "And don't think that that wasn't on purpose." She grinned, winking at me through the rearview mirror.

"Embarrassing me wasn't on the to-do list today, Ri." Sydney muttered.

"But it's just so much fun!" Riley laughed. "Is Jen going to be at this thing? We grabbed lunch the other day and she is probably my new favorite person on this planet. Her sass is beyond phenomenal."

"Why do you think we get along so well?" Sydney laughed. "You grabbed lunch with my best friend without me?"

Riley shrugged again.

"Hey, you have your eye candy to drool over, you don't have time for us."

I felt my cheeks grow warm as Sydney nudged me.

"She's talking about you, just so you know."

I smiled slightly, my self-defined swagger from the hammock completely gone at this point. It only seemed to really come out when I was alone with Syd, because in all other situations I was kind of just awkward.

"Does he speak?" Riley asked as we pulled into a parking lot that was almost completely full. "I mean, you answered my questions at the beginning of the trip just fine, but then you got quiet."

"I usually only speak when I feel a phrase warrants a response." I responded quietly.

"He's got some sass too, Syd! I like him."

"Yeah, well, you can't have him." Sydney laughed as Riley continued to search for a place to park her car. "He's currently seeing someone."

"Am I?" I winked.

"Are you?" she replied slyly.

I leaned over the seat and kissed her cheek quickly before sitting back up.