Fourteen - Fruitless or Fun

Chapter Fourteen

Fruitless or Fun?

____________________

“You look like arse.”

“You are much too kind,” I drawled at Char. “I tried so very hard this morning to make myself up to represent my rear end.”

“The fight is all over school.”

“Oh? Someone scrawled ‘the fight’ all over the school walls? How disrespectful of our school property…”

Charlie slammed her fist down on my table, making Pulse next to me snort with amusement.

“Quit with the sarcasm, Jax,” she snapped irritably.

“But I like it so much!”

Her hand clenched and released, her dark eyes cutting. “How dare I ask for details! Anyone can see quite clearly how you could annoy someone enough for them to want to choke you so that you look as if you have an interesting purple and yellow necklace and your voice sounds like my grandpa’s!”

“I’m glad you’ve finally come to that conclusion.” I smiled smarmily.

She shook her head and looked like she was holding in a scream of frustration. “Am I not allowed to care about you?”

One of the boys up the front of the class snickered, obviously listening to our conversation. The whole class was tuned in. I picked up the eraser on Pulsifer’s desk and tossed it in the direction of the guy who dared laugh. I didn’t need to look to know I’d hit my mark. It wasn’t hard enough for it to actually hurt but he’d been warned.

“I’m pissed off and I’m tired, Char. Now is not the time to press this issue.”

I was too surprised to react when her hand came across my face. I had the reflexes to stop her but couldn’t comprehend that she was actually going to slap me. The sharp sting of her hand and the throb of the blow was my proof that she actually had. Before she could pull her hand back, I snatched it out of the air, gripping tight on her wrist.

“What the fuck is wrong with you?!” I demanded. Char and I had fought time and again, it was natural to squabble, but she’d never lashed out at me before. She wasn’t the type to lose her temper enough to use violence. She maintained control despite her emotions. And she would know that I would retaliate if she ever fought physically with me.

“What a question to ask me!” she laughed incredulously. “You’re the one acting up! I understand that there are things you can’t tell me, I fucking understand that you have things to do that I can’t know of. But don’t shut me out because of it! And don’t you dare treat me like dirt and then expect me to leave you alone because you’re tired and pissed off!” She tugged her arm away from me as she ranted but I only tightened my hold.

“When have I ever been known for my friendly personality?” I hissed. “Who are you expecting me to be? I’m pissed off and the whole world probably knows it and knows not to bug me for insignificant things! That’s who I am.”

“Jax…” Behind me, Calum gave a low warning. Shit, the world also knew I was being out of line right now, I didn’t need to hear it from a protective sibling! But screw all this, I needed to vent something on someone.

“No, no. Fuck this.” I shook my head and stood up from my chair, wincing as sharp pain slashed through my chest and my ribs protested when I inhaled.