THE ROOM ABOVE CHAPTER 6

Kijora soared  away.Her  tall  broad  body  hit  against  the  wall but  the  unknown  force  didn't harm  her  much. She  billowed  in  the  air,eyes staring sharp  at  the  older man. She caught  a  glimpse  at  the  younger  man.He  saw  darkness  and  beyond  his  mind, a  cloud  of  reminiscence  pierced  his  heart. Haska  knew  her  and  so  did  Kijora. Both  men  stood  on  guard, ready  to  attack  but  not  Kijora. Not  tonight. She  grinned. Kijora  turned  to  face  the  wall  and  penetrate  the  solid  partition. She  was  gone.  

Haska  sat  at  the  bed's  end, he watched  Cherie  as  she  lay  unconscious. Next  to  him  another  man  stood  staring  out  the  window.The  man  named  Haver  had  come  to  Cherie's  aid  earlier  along  with  Haska. It  was  Haska  who  sensed  the  malicious  being  which  led  him  to  Cherie's  apartment  flat. Kijora  wasn't  a  stranger  to  them. They  had  known  her  for  ages. They  knew  what  she  is  and  her  capability  is  not  to  be  ignored. The  man  walked  towards  the  window  where   he  saw  the  night  sky  began  to  change, day  would  appear  soon  and  he  has  to  leave.

" She  was  lucky... We  came  in  time  before  the  witch  could  take  her  body." Haska  breaks  the  silence.

" True, my  friend. We  need  to  be  more  vigilant   now. She  will  not  stop  whence  she  has  found  her  prey. This  building  has  been  our  hide  all  this  while. Hiding  from  her  kind. And  because  of  this  girl, our  kind  would  be  in  danger. Kijora  will  come  back...and  she  would  bring  the  rest. We  have  to  prepare  for  the  worst." Haver  exhaled  his  distress.

" Haver..." Haska looked  at  his  friend  with  hope  in  his  eyes.

"Let's  find  another  place." He  spoke.

"No, my  boy." Haver  shook  his  head  and  turned  his  attention  away  from  the  window.

"What  do  you  mean ?" Haska  was  stunned  by  Haver's  reply.

"We  have  been  running  and  hiding  for  centuries  my  friend. It's  time  we  stay  and  fight." Haver  made  his  decision  clear  towards  Haska. He  saw  the  young  man's  eyes  widened  in  disbelief.

"But  we  are  out  numbered, Haver." Haska's  heart  sank. He  saw  the  distress  look  in  Haver's  eyes.

"Our  kind  may  be  out  numbered, Haska. But  not  the  others." Haver  spoke again, his  eyes lightened  with  anticipation. 

" All  we  have  to  do  is  ask. I  will  make  the  arrangements."  Haver  concluded. Before  Haska  could speak, Haver  smiled. Dawn  arrives  with  mild  glare  from  the  sun, morning  shines  lightly  through  the  window  glass; from  where  Haver  stood  green  smoke  began  to  rise  from  his  feet. It  spread  up to  his  shoulders  and  engulfed  the  being  instantly. Haver  disappeared.

Haska  was  left  speechless. He  was  still  seated  by  the  bed's end, he gazed  at  Cherie  who  was  still  deep  in  her  faint. Her  dark  brown  hair  messed  across  her  face, Haska  hesitated  but  brushed  it  aside  softly  and  saw  the  girl's features.There  is  something  about  her. And  Haska  couldn't  put  the  pieces  of  curiousity  together. It  feels  like  he  knew  her  too.

Have  we  met  before  this,dear  girl. He  whispers  in  his  mind.

Those  eyes  which  he  gazed  earlier  seemed  so  familiar. But  whose? And  from  where  had  he  met  thoses  gentle  and  beautiful  eyes. Haska  could  not  remember.

The  sun  almost  emerge  from  its  rest. Haska  had  to  leave  before  it  destroys  him. He  wish  to  stay  longer  with  the  girl  but  his  fate  had  been  cursed  and  so  were  his  kind. Haska  stood  away, green  smoke  begin  to  leak  from  his  palms  and  they  swam  around  him  till  he  too  disappeared.

Cherie  felt  pain  as  she  tried  to  move  and  wake  from  her  sleep. She  felt  like  she  had  sprained  her  neck  from  tumbling  down  the  stairs  in  her  dream  but   she  didn't  dream  at  all. All  was  blank  in  her  sleep. Cherie  took  a  deep  breath, she  tried  to  collect  herself  together  and  it  came  to  her  like  a  slap  on  her  face. She  realised  that  was  no  dream. She  recalled  a  woman  stranggling  her.Cherie  sat  up instantly  despite  the  pain  which  begin  stratching  all  over  her  face  and  shoulder.

No. It  wasn't  a  woman. It's  not  human. Cherie  told  herself.

Her  heart  began  pounding. Her  eyes  searched  around  for  the  creature.

What  happened? Cherie  questioned  herself.

She  saw  it  was  day  already  outside. And  the  creature  is  gone. She  reached  for  her  cell  phone  on  the  bedside  table. She  dialled  the  only  name  she  stored  in  her  contacts. Neha.

The  waitress  walked  towards  the  back  corner  of  the  diner  and  served  Cherie  a  mug  of  black  coffee. Just  the  way  she  ordered. A  mug  not  a  cup. She's  been  cranky  since  she stepped  out  from  her  apartment. Was  it  fear  that  drives  her  irritable? Cherie  couldn't  speculate  her  own  behavior. She  took  the  mug  with  both  hands, sniffed  the  aroma  from  the  coffee  and  took  a  gulp. It  was  warm  and  it  felt  good. She  waited  for  Neha  as  promised  earlier  on  the  phone. Cherie  extend  her  sight  looking  out  if  Neha  has  reached  but  not  yet. Cherie  begin  to  get  paranoid, she  scuffled  her  bag  for  her  cellphone.

" Gosh! What  happened  to  you?" A  female  voice  spoke.

Cherie  looked  up  from  her  search  and  saw  Neha  standing  across  her  table. Quickly, Neha  settle  herself   down. She  didn't  let  her  eyes  blink  for  seconds  as  she  stared  at  the  obvious  bruise  on  Cherie's  face. Cherie  kept  mum. 

"Are  you  hurt?" Neha asked  anxiously.

"What  the  hell. Ofcourse  you're  hurt. Why  did I  ask?" Neha  slapped  her  forehead.  

" Cherie. What  happened?" Neha  leaned  forward, she  whispered.

Cherie  looked  over  Neha's  shoulder. There's  an  elderly  couple  occupying  the table  near  the  entrance  of  the  diner  and  she  saw  no  one  else. The  waitress  was  not  in  sight  and  the  atmosphere  was  lightly  filled  with  songs  from  the  chain's  radio. Her  thoughts came  back  to  Neha, her  mind  and  feelings  were  in  a  rummaged. She  doubted  to  share  the  incident  but  she  has  no  one  else  to  turn to.Neha's  eyes  were  still  fixed  on  Cherie's  face.Waiting  for  Cherie  to  say  something. Anything. Slowly, Cherie moved  forward  closer and  shared  her  experience  that  night. In  her  thoughts, Cherie  hoped  her only  friend  would  believe her.