THE ROOM ABOVE CHAPTER 1 & 2

CHAPTER  ONE 

The  day  had  been  raining  since  morning, Cherie  sat  in  the  cab  pondering  through  the  window  about  the  apartment  she's  moving  into. It  wasn't  much  of  her  choice  but  she  had  signed  up  the  lease. She  had  nowhere  to  go, nowhere  to  stay  anymore.

Her  eyes  twitched.

Cherie  began  to  see  flashbacks.

She  was  in  her  room  that  Saturday  noon. Mom  hadn't  been  home  the  night  before, she  had  peeped  into  her  mother's  room  earlier. The  bed  was  neatly  tucked, no  signs  of  her  mother  around  the  house. She  made  breakfast  of  bread  and  butter, scrolled  her  cellphone  for  messages  or  missed  calls  and  found  it  empty. It  was  typical  of  her  mother  to  be  absent  from  home  most  of  the  time. Cherie  was  sixteen, young  and  broken; she  couldn't  care  less about  her  mother  at  times  but  there  are  moments  she  couldn't  deny  the  yearnings  to  be  loved  and  cared  by  her  mother. Hatred  and  self  pity  instigate  her  thoughts  and  feelings. She  damned  her  father  for  leaving  her  when  she  was  seven, damned  the  community  which  made  her  mother  an alcoholic. She  blamed  everyone. She  hated  them  and  she  trusts  no  one.

Cherie  heard  noises  and  laughters  coming  from  the  living  room, she  left  her  bed  and  went    to  see  what  is  the  commotion  about. She  halts  by  the  hallway  and  saw    a  man  sitting  on  the  couch, he  looked  comfortable  in  that  couch. Too  comfortable. He  grinned  his  yellow  stained  teeth, he  didn't  looked  sober  or  well-groomed. His  checkered  shirt  was  crumpled, his  beige  pants  had  stains  of  dirt  and  his  eyes  potrays  a  slumber  of  drunkeness. His  features  repeled  Cherie  even  more, she  noticed  the  thin  on  the  top  of  his  head ; where  only  a  few  strands  of  hair  was  left  at  his  age. The  fold  under  his  eyes  sent  chills  on  her  skin. Cherie  took  a  step  back, hid  herself  behind  the  petition  wall  and  observe. From  across  the  living  room, Cherie's  mother  held  a  bottle  of  beer  in  each  of  her  hands, the  slim  and  gaunt  woman  walked  towards  the  man. Settled  on  the  couch, he sat  back  and  waited  for  his  beer.

" Here's  your  drink, George."

" You  gotta  learn  to  treat  a  man  right, Abby." He  took  the  bottle  from  Cherie's  mother.

" Learnt  my  lesson. It  won't  happen  again, George." Abby  promised.

" That's  my  woman... You  know  I  love  you." George warned.

" Yes. And  I  love  you  too." Abby  said, her  voice  trembled  and  she  forced  a  smile.

"Now, go  make  me  something  to  eat." George  demanded.

Cherie  saw  her  mother  hustled  to  the  kitchen. Her  heart  sank  with  anger  and  disappointment. Why, mama? Her   voice   was  trapped  in  her  mind. She  did  not  understand  how  and  why  her  mother  had  reacted  in  such  a  manner  towards  the  man. She  swore  to  herself  that  this  guy  would  never  get  any  respect  from  her. She  despised  the  man  named  George. Cherie  turned  and  returned  to  her  room. 

                                                                            CHAPTER  TWO

The  cab  took  a  left  turn  and  slowed  down  to  a  stop  along  Matilda  Street. The  rain  had  subside  to  drizzle  outside. The  cab  left  and  Cherie  stood  alongside  her  luggage. Before  her  was  a  seven  storey  tall  building  apartment. It  looks  old, painted  in  tattletale  gray; the  surface  was  blotch  with  green  fungus  and  the  paint  itself  had  peeled  away  from  the  exterior  wall. The  sight  was  overwhelming  but  it  comes  with  a  cheap  rent. Without  any  doubts  Cherie  forward  into  the  building, once  entered  she  saw  a  familiar  face  behind  a  counter. An  old  woman  looked  up  from  her  baking  magazine  to  see  who  had  arrive  at  her  lobby. Cherie  remembered  now, the  woman behind  the  counter  had  thick  face  with  wide  lips  and  large  eyes  was  the  landlady.