THE ROOM ABOVE CHAPTER 3

She  stares  blankly  at  the  fresh  mounted  grave, her  eyes  swelled  with  tears  as  she  stood  alone  by  her  mother's  tomb. Cherie  kept  memorizing  the  words  that  utter  from  the  doctor's  lips. A  heart  attack. 

No. This  can't  be. She's  heavy  with  her  booze. She  smokes. But  it's  too  soon. Too  soon  to  leave  me  this  way. Cherie  argued  in  her  mind.

I'm  sorry, mama. I'm  sorry  that  I  left  you. She  apologized, the  regretful  emotions  clenched  her  heart  deeply.

Cherie  stray  her  gaze  away  from  the  grave. She  saw  the  vast  field  of  tombstones  laid  across  the  green  pasture  as  far  as  she  could  see. She  stood  alone. The  priest  had  left, George  never  came  to  the  funeral  and  she  had  no  relatives  whom  she  knew  of  till  this  point. Her  legs  felt  numb  and  her  body  began  to  tire. She  prayed  her  mother  to  rest  in  peace  and  walked  away. Her  chest  felt  heavy  with  grief  with  every  step  she  took  but  she  has  to  move  on.

DennisMart   sets  out  ten  blocks  away  from  Matilda  St, it's  where  Cherie  works  as  a  full  time  retail  staff  after  she  dropped  out  from  school. She  had  no  interests  in  her  grades  anymore  and  she  sees  an  opportunity  to  be  independently  earning  and  living  out  from  her  nest. Especially  when  George  started  to  stay  in  more  often, as  and  when  he  wanted  to. She  felt  there's  no  privacy  and  the place  she  calls  home  begin  to  look  like  a  pig's  sty  day  by  day. Beer  cans  here  and  there. Dirty  clothes on  the  couch, on  the  floor. Leftover  pizzas  and  take-away  chinese  food  on  the  dining  table, it  all  adds  up  to  the  frustrations  she's  going  through. She  couldn't  take  it  anymore. And  so  she  left  the house.

"Hey, Cher." Neha  greets.

"Hi, Neha." Cherie  smiled. She  kept  her  hands  busy  stocking  up  the  candy  bars  on  the  rack.

"You  going  down  to  Zack's  for  lunch?" Neha  asked.

"Yup. You  coming  along?"

"Sure. See  ya  later." Neha  chirped, she  turned  and  disappeared  towards  the  next  aisle.

Neha  and  Cherie  sat  by  the  window  for  lunch. Neha  lets  her  black  velvet  hair  fell  over  her  shoulders; her  cocoa-colored  skin  composed  an  Indian  beauty  with  shapely  upper  lips, wide  twinkled-eyes  and  well-shaped  eyebrows. Neha's  jovial  nature  made  Cherie  comfortable  to  befriend  with, Neha  kept  every  conversation  with  Cherie  to  a  limit. She  never  question  Cherie  about  her  background  or  parents  or  school. It  does  made  Cherie  wonder  at  one  point  of  time, if  Neha, too, shared  the  same  fate  as  herself. Or  has  she  engaged  herself  in  a  more  complicated  and  sad  past  which  made  her  easily  deduce  into  Cherie's  situation. Cherie  was  reminded  by  her  mother's  favourite  quote. Some  things  are  better  left  unsaid. She  chew  on  her   fries  and  let  her  break  time  past  and   enjoy  the  company  of  her  friend, Neha.