Chapter 13

My head snapped up as soon as I heard the door open. Once again my eyes went instantly to Ibiki, pleading for him to end it himself.

"We've come to a decition," The Hokage said in a very serious manner.

I stood up, facing all three of them, not really knowing what to do.

"From now on, you work as a spy for Konoha," the Hokage said, making my eyes widen.

"What?" I exclaimed as I thought of all the posibilities. "It will never work! Pein want's Kakashi dead or he'll kill me instead. Me being here puts the leaf village in danger, you can't expect me to-"

"Let me worry about my village," the Hokage interrupted. "You are the closest we've gotten to figure out the workings of the Akatsuki. When you came here you had to act your emotions... Well, now you have to act emotionless for them. Talk to the leader and make him think that you delaying the mission is for the best."

"Leader-sama will never accept that," I said. "You don't understand him. He knows no compassion and he's not patient."

"I'm sure you'll find a way," the Hokage said. "As of now you're in probation as a leaf ninja. Any sign of betrayal and we will have to lock you up."

"You're saying right now I'm free?" I asked incedulous. "I was sent here to kill one of your ninja. I lied to you, betrayed you... You're supposed to kill me! I'm supposed to die!"

"That'd be giving you the easy way out," Kakashi said simply as I felt my eyes water. "You have to fix things. If you really do care for anyone here, you'll do it. If not, you'll just prove you're a coward."

I stared at the ground angrily as I realized Kakashi was right. 

"Fine," I concluded, staring directly in the Hokage's eyes. "I can tell you all I already know."

"That'll be perfect," the Hokage answered nodding. "No one apart from us and a few selected anbu must know of this. It shall be kept a secret."

I nodded and soon enough Ibiki was leading me somewhere so I could give a full report on everything I knew about Akatsuki.

-FF- 

I entered Kakashi's house later that night and bid goodnight to my escort as I closed the door. 

"How did it go?" Kakashi asked startling me as I urned around. As soon as our eyes conected I turned away, clearing my throat.

"Better than it should've," I replied honestly.

"How do you mean?" Kakashi asked as I made my way to my room, never once looking at him. 

"I should've been punished in some way. I am a traitor, yet I feel like I was let go-"

"You confessed," Kakashi said simply. "You had many opportunities to kill me, yet you never did. I trust you."

"You shouldn't," I said as I rested my head in the wall. "You should hate me."

"A part of me does," Kakashi admitted, making me at last turn around to meet his gaze. "A part of me hates you a lot, actually. But another part of me trusts you. Besides, double crossing the Akatsuki is not an easy task. I think you got punishment enough."

"You're right," I sighed. "You might have not killed me but Akatsuki sure as hell will."

"Why couldn't you do it?" Kakashi asked suddenly, standing up and walking towards me.

"What do you mean?" I asked as my heartbeat rose.

"Kill me," he said with a small frown. "Why didn't you?"

"I don't even know myself," I admitted looking away. "I hated you at first. I hated the fact that I always felt insignificant when you easily disregarded me. But then I actually started to enjoy time with team seven. Even Sasuke managed to entretain me, and I hated the sight of him just because he reminded me too much of Itachi. I guess I realized I've always wanted a gay friend."

Kakashi instantly got an annoyed frown as I looked at him seriously.

"I'm not gay!" He muttered angrily as I rolled my eyes.

"When are you going to come out of the closet, Hatake, it's alright, I'm not judging."

"Why do you insist on this?" Kakashi asked frustrated.

"Any straight man would at least blush a little seeing me in my underwear," I said simply. "It's a known fact."

"Well, as I said, maybe I just don't find you atractive," he said simply.

I laughed, "See, you are gay!"

Kakashi rolled his eyes but smiled a little, and as soon as I realized I was laughing I stopped coughing and looking away. I had tried to kill this man and now I'm here laughing as if I hadn't betrayed his trust.

"I'm sorry, I should just go to my room," I said as I started to turn away.

"Wait," Kakashi stopped me, his hand clasped around my wrist. "About today... We should just pretend it didn't happen. We  can't have people suspecting anything of you. For all I know, you were never Akatsuki."

"How?" I asked with a frustrated glare. "How do you just let it go so easily! I was going to kill you, Hatake! You can't just pretend it didn't happen!"

"I have no idea what you're talking about," he said with a closed-eye smile. I sweat-dropped at his antics and gave up.

"Thank you," I said quietly as he looked at me confused. "For giving me another chace. I wouldn't have."

"You had a long day," Kakashi said with a weird look in his eyes. "You should rest."

"I mean it Kakashi," I said, not looking at him in the eyes. "You shouldn't trust people so easily. Right now you're lucky I do really want to leave Akatsuki, but if it was someone who wasn't you'd be in trouble-"

"Remember when you got here?" Kakashi asked. "I took you to the Hokage. That day... I didn't trust anything you said. Your eyes were cold and emotionless and everything seemed forced and unatural. Now... now it's pretty clear you're being true. I don't trust everyone, Kaori, I just know who to trust."

Before I could even think of what I was doing I threw my arms around Kakashi, hugging him tightly. After a few seconds I let him go and hurried to close my room, already feeling tears leave my eyes as I rested my back against the door and hugged my knees close to me.

____________________________

Okay, i'm so rusty. I have no idea what happened here but I don't even know what to do with this story anymore. This is shitty and unreal Iknow... I think I might discontinue this story. I don't remember what plans I had for Kaori and now I can't seem to come up with anything.