Chapter 1 : 1954

* 1954 *

It was a hot summer day in July of 1954, I was 9 almost 10 , and Elvis was 19.
Elvis was sitting in the living room of our small, Memphis home on 1034 Audubon Drive. I had just come in from helping momma hang up the laundry outside, she had given me a basket with the clothes that were dry to fold and put away. The basket was just about as big as I was, and Elvis saw this as I stumbled inside, trying not to drop the basket of clean clothes.

" Here, let me help ya there, Sattnin."

Elvis stood up from where he was sitting on the couch and took the basket from my arms. He brought it back over to the couch and sat down, starting to fold clothes. I couldn't help but smile at my big brother.
Sattnin was the nickname Momma gave to me and Elvis when we were little, and eventually we started calling each other that too.
I loved Elvis. We didn't fight like how most siblings do. Sure, we had little arguments here and there, but what brother and sister didn't? We were extremely close, on account of how we lost Jesse when he and Elvis were born. We had never got to meet him, there weren't even any pictures of him to see what he looked like. Elvis often felt responsible for the death of Jesse, I don't know why. He was just a baby, there was nothing he could've done.

Anyways, back to the present.
I joined Elvis on the sofa and began folding clothes. We sat there in silence for a bit before Elvis got up and walked over to the radio, switching it on. He looked over at me and smiled as music filled the house.

" There, that's better."

I smiled up at him and returned to folding the clothes.
After a while, we finished so we just sat there listening to gospel music on the radio.
I looked over at Elvis, who seemed to be really getting into the music. Slowly, he started humming and tapping his foot on the carpet. Then he started singing, quietly at first and then almost at the top of his lungs. It was like someone had turned the volume up on a radio. Soon, I joined in. But I wasn't nearly as good as Elvis.

He was always a good singer. When he was 10 years old, he entered a talent show at school in Tupelo. He sang "Old Shep" and won first prize. Though, I don't remember this because I was only a year old at the time, but from what momma and daddy told me, they were so proud of Elvis.

Elvis and I were snapped out of our singing daze when we heard momma call us for supper.

~ The next day, July 4th, 1954 ~

I was in the kitchen, helping momma prepare lunch. Daddy and Elvis were at work, so momma took the day off. She didn't want to leave me by myself at the house. I wasn't even by myself though, I had my grandma, Minnie. Normally, I'd be in school, but summer vacation started last week so there was no way of anyone watching me ( besides my grandma, but she's older and my momma's afraid of her working herself up too much and getting hurt ) while my parents and Elvis were at work. My parents were very protective over Elvis and I, they rarely let us go over to friends houses, the reason for that is they always wanted to know where we were at, especially momma.
Elvis graduated high school last year and he's been working ever since. He got a new job a few months ago working for Crown Electric driving a truck for $1.00 an hour. It's a really good paying job, but I rarely see him anymore except for when he comes home to eat lunch and when he gets off work, which is around 6:00.

Lunch is finally ready when Elvis walks in the house.
He walks over to me while I'm setting the table and gives me a side hug, then he gets down to my height and whispers in my ear.
" I need to talk to ya after lunch."
I look at him confused.
" Why? " I ask, apparently too loud because Elvis quietly shushes me and looks over to see if momma had heard. I was still confused on why Elvis was acting so weird, he just smirked at my expression and winked. He then helped momma bring the food to the table. We all sat down at the table with Dodger, my grandmother. Her real name is Minnie Mae, but Elvis gave her the nickname.
Once everyone was gathered around the table, momma told Elvis to say grace before we sat down. I took Elvis's and Dodgers hands as we all bowed our heads for Elvis to say grace.
" Dear Heavenly Father above, we thank you for the food you have placed before us, the clothes on our backs, shoes on our feet, and the roof above our heads. I thank you for Momma, Daddy, Dodger and little Lizzie. We pray Jesse is with you at the right hand of your throne. Thank you for everything you do and the love you give us, in Jesus's name, Amen."
" Amen."

After everyone finished lunch, momma got up and headed toward the sink to wash dishes. I stood and went to help her, but before I took a step a hand reached out and gently grabbed my arm. I turned around to see Elvis, I had almost forgotten that he wanted to talk to me.
" Lizzie, honey, you gonna come help do dishes? " Momma asked, who was already running the dish water.
Before I could say anything, Elvis spoke up.
" Momma, is it okay if I borrow Lizzie for a second? "
" Sure, baby. " she said, her attention still on washing dishes.
Elvis led me into the living room, I gave him another weird look.
" What did you want to tell me, is something wrong? Did something bad happen at work? " I asked him, my little 9 year old voice trembling.
" No, Lizzie. Nothing happened at work, don't worry. " he reassured me.
" Do you remember when I recorded that song " My Happiness " for momma's birthday last year? "
I nodded. He smiled.

" Well, I got a few extra bucks for workin' overtime. And I decided we should record the both of us singin' for her at a record studio here in town. It'll be something from the both of us. "

" You sure it should have both of us singin' on there? "

He gave me an odd look.
" Well, sure. Why not, Lizzie? "

I shrugged.
" I'm not a good singer, E. And... I-I'll get nervous singin' in front of other folk. "

I was never confident in my singing, I didn't think I was any good. I only sang around the house and at church on Sunday's. I could never sing by myself, I always had to have Elvis there singin' with me to make me feel better.

He kneeled down to my height, and took my little face in his big hands.

" Aw, I think you're a great singer, Sattnin. And I'll be right there singin' with you, like we always do. Okay? "
I looked up into those ocean blue eyes, I had those same eyes. They never failed to make me feel safe.
" Okay. "

He stood up and ruffled my hair.
" Alright, now i gotta head back to work. I'll see ya later tonight, Lizzie. "

We both walked back into the kitchen and I took my place at the sink while Elvis kissed momma goodbye.
Once Elvis was gone, momma looked over at me.
" What did Elvis need, baby? "

I froze for a second, I didn't want to lie to her, I've never lied to my momma before. But I couldn't give away the surprise of what we were doing.

" Oh, nothin'. He just wanted to take me to the record store tomorrow, he said he got some extra money from work and wanted to buy some records. "

That wasn't technically a lie. We were gonna buy a record, I just didn't say what
" record store ".

" Alright. Just make sure y'all check in with me before you go. "

I nodded and returned to drying the dishes.