Sherlock-ette: Elementary (Chapter 7)

We tried to get in to the boys locker room. We really did. We tried like no desperate, lovesick idiots have ever tried before (although we weren't trying to look at guys and their naked butts, we were on an important, professional recon mission, comprende?). But, you know, some cheerleaders can be really annoying.

"Um, where do you think you're going?" said Joanna Masters, glaring at me. She and a couple of Amaryliss's other groupies had beat us to the door and were peering in, on their own little 'mission'.

"Where's your leader?" I asked. Joanna was sporting some brand new rediculously long nails (I don't understand how they do backflips with those things) and the other girls had clearly just touched up their dye jobs, but Amaryliss was no where in sight.

Joanna scowled at me. "Get out of here Macy J Loser."

After I had managed to get over my mortally wounded feelings at this cruel piece of witticism,I snapped "Just tell me where Amaryliss is will you?"

"Run after loverboy snob, we're trying to pull some worth while fellas," she sneered.

I was about to snap back that I'd never seen her with 'a worth while fella' in the whole time we'd been at uni together (well, apart from that time she snogged Holden, who's pretty cool), but Olivia grabbed my arm and pulled me away.

"Girls one instead," she said quickly and I followed obediently, although I did shoot a very nasty look in Joanna's direction.

"You shouldn't let bitches like her bother you Mace," said Olivia with an amused smile on her face.

"I wish she didn't get on my nerves so much," I agreed. "It's just her goddam expression when she looks at me, like I'm slowly transforming her in to a duck."

For some reason Olivia laughed until I had to shush her so we could sneak past some tenis players.

"Okay, which ones are the cheerleaders'?" asked Olivia.

"Those ones over there," I pointed to a corner of lockers.

"How do you know that?"

I tapped my nose. "Elementary my deer acomplice."

"Like the big sign on the wall that says Cheerleaders Only on it?" she asked sceptically.

"That's still deduction," I protested.

We spent a few minutes gleefully breaking in to all the cheerleader's lockers and searching them (I was extra careful with my friends on the cheer squad's lockers ofcourse). To be honest it wasn't that hard seeing as all they actually keep in those things are their uniforms and they don't really bother locking them properly.

"What would our friends at the police station think?" I said as I easily pulled Amaryliss's open. A spare uniform, a superfluous amount of make up, an old acryllic nail (ew) and a packet of cigarettes (double ew). I sighed. "Nothing suspicious here."

"Keep looking," said Olivia.

I tried the locker next to Amaryliss's which had pretty much the same stuff except no fake tan and a lot of dark concealer. "I reckon this is Joanna's," I said to Olivia, picking up some packets of cigarettes. "They're going to ruin their perfect little bodies if they don't cut back", I tutted. Then I saw something slip out from under the packet. It was a piece of paper.