Chapter 2

You idiot!”

“I-” was about as far as I managed to get.

“You complete and utter idiot!” Cyrus snarled, black-clad shoulders hunched forward as he ceased his pacing and glared down at me. My leather couch, one of several comfortable chairs located in my exercise hall, suddenly felt like a rather uncomfortable place to be sitting. “You unfeeling, sadistic, egotistical . . . moron!”

“Cyrus! You-”

“I mean . . . her!” he growled, teeth actually baring themselves in righteous anger at me briefly as he began pacing once more. “You would do that . . . to her!? You insensitive, maggot ridden dog! You cretinous-”

“Cyrus!” I half-shouted, standing up from my seat.

He stopped his pacing and stood still, glaring at me.

“I rather humbly suggest,” I said between gritted teeth, pulling at the bottom of my vest and smoothing my garments, “that you take a moment and consider who you are talking to, your relationship with that person, and perhaps, if you're not too busy, make a note of the current time.” I gave my Knight-Captain a pointed look. “You are, in fact, in the presence of your Lord . . . and what's more, you are actually working at the moment. And since there's nothing in our agreement I can recall that stipulates that I must tolerate this level of familiarity from you, I would suggest that you modify your tone and use of honorific immediately!”

Cyrus stiffened, taking a quick breath and standing at attention.

“I'm very sorry, Milord. It shall not happen again.”

“See that it doesn't,” I said.

“You,” Cyrus said, his voice calm and even, “are a complete and utter idiot. Milord.”

“See? Much better,” I said, pretending to flick some dust from my shoulder. “And you'd be referring to what happened with Talia, I take it?”

Milord, she-” anger flashed briefly across his face, and he closed his eyes for a moment before continuing, forcing himself to relax. “It was a cruel thing to do, Milord.”

“Cruel? In what way?” I asked, mystified. “Asking her to play along as I rid myself of a troublesome employee? She was in no danger, and though I will admit it may have caused her a spot of awkwardness, she-”

Awkwardness?” Cyrus sputtered.

“Cyrus, could you please explain your sudden behavior? Why exactly is it that you're acting this way? I'm trying to come up with a good reason why her distress over an unexpected bit of playacting has you so bothered. Is it-” I frowned at him, struck by a sudden realization, “Are you . . . courting her again?”

He stared at me dumbly, his jaw slack with disbelief. I'd touched a bit of a sore spot, obviously, and I began to nod in understanding. Cyrus was an extremely protective fellow, somewhat overprotective at times. Then again, in his line of work I considered that to be an asset.

“Well, okay . . . see? Now it's out in the open and I know, I'll be more careful in future. I hardly expected her to react that poorly, but I know well enough that this sort of activity isn't for everyone, and I can see how her sudden distress might upset you. And now that I know, I'll be sure to avoid it.” I lowered my head slightly, eyebrows bobbing the same question to him as my upturned palms. “Apology accepted? Will that do?”

He shook his head dumbly at me, and I felt momentary puzzlement. I wondered what else I could possibly offer to do, or refrain from doing, that might satisfy him.