Stay With Me

"Elena? Elena snap out of it," Caroline said, snapping her fingers in front of my face.

"Huh? What?" I replied. Not one of my most elegant responses.

"Were you even listening to what I was saying? We're supposed to be trying to find Stefan," she said, obliviously upset. Stefan. What were we going to do? He had given himself to Klaus to save Damon's life. And I had kissed Damon. And I had liked it. Nobody knew about that, especially not Caroline. All I would hear from her would be how Damon was the bad guy and I shouldn't trust him. But was he? Was Damon the bad guy anymore?

"Yeah, sorry Care. I guess I'm just tired," I said lamely, trying to cover up the fact that I had spaced out.

"It's going to be ok Elena, we'll find Stefan," Caroline said, thinking that was what had kept me preoccupied. If only she knew the truth. She'd probably try and stake Damon herself.

"I don't know, it's been 3 months now. Maybe we'll never find him. Maybe Stefan is really gone, forever," I said sounding resigned.

"We'll find him Elena. You'll see. Why don't you head home and try and get some sleep. We do still have school tomorrow," Caroline replied, with a determined tone. I nodded and gave her a half smile. She came and hugged me good night and walked me out of her house to my car.

Instead of heading home, I drove towards the Salvatore manor. Little did anyone know, this was where I had been staying since Stefan left. I pulled into the driveway and took a deep breath before exiting the car. All of the lights were on which only meant one thing. Damon was home. Ever since Stefan left, I found myself seeking comfort from the older Salvatore brother more and more. I pulled out my spare key and yanked open the door, ready to fall into whatever bed was closest. What I wasn't ready for was Damon sitting there, with one of the most vulnerable looks on his face, and a bottle of his favourite scotch in his hands, that looked almost empty. He looked grief stricken, so I did for him what he had being doing for me. I pulled Damon into my arms as I sat down on the couch, running my hands through his raven black hair.

"Shh Damon, it's ok, everything will be ok," I muttered to him, rocking us slightly.

"Don't you see Elena. It won't be ok, because my brother gave up his life for me and what am I doing? Nothing except for fall further in love with you. So no, everything will not be ok," he said sounding like he was on the verge of tears. I was stunned, unable to comprehend what he had said. Sure he had said he was in love with me when he was on the verge of dying almost three months ago, but since then he has made any sort of move or comment about it. The Damon Salvatore was in love with me. And I was happy about it. Because despite my feelings for Stefan, I couldn't deny that I had feeling for Damon. Strong ones.

"Come on Damon, let's get you up to bed," I said, taking the bottle out of his hands and gently pulling him up. His breath stank of alcohol, indicating that the bottle I had removed wasn't the first one he had had. I guided him up the stair case and into his bedroom. He crawled into bed and I turned to leave.

"Please don't leave, Elena. Don't leave me alone. Can you stay for a bit?" He asked, sounding completely vulnerable. I turned around and crawled into bed beside him. He wound his arms around me and pulled me closer to him

"I'll never leave you Damon," I whispered and fell asleep, feeling like everything will be ok for the first time in ages.

Hey guys, it's me again. Sorry I haven't updated in a bit, I've been swamped with school and I only had half ideas for stories. Thanks for sticking with me. Comment any ideas - Jazzie <3