Chapter 18 - And The Truth Comes Out

POV: Beverly

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The storm eventually died down and the clouds gave way to a bright blue sky and sunshine. Well, I guess all's well that ends well. But not completely. There were some things I needed to get sorted out with August. He was with Evelyn obviously. But I walked right up to them and interrupted whatever it was they were talking.

"Sorry." I said, giving a fake smile to Evelyn. Then turned to August, "Can we have a word in private?"

"Right now?" he asked.

"No. In the next millennium." I replied bluntly.

He glanced at Evelyn, "I'll be right back."

Then he followed me to the forecastle deck. Once there, I turned around to face him.

"What's going on?" he asked.

"You. You're going on." I answered.

"That's specific."

"Listen, pretty boy. We're in this mission together. But I really don't appreciate you speaking rudely to my friend. Akasha's doing her best to help so cut her some goddamn slack."

"I would appreciate it if she did that without trying to kill anyone."

"Uh, it's magic. For your kind information. You're not born with the knowledge on how to control it. Hell, sometimes you don't even know you have it. She hasn't had experience with it before. Just like you didn't have experience the first time you used that sword of yours."

He didn't reply. He knew I was right but couldn't admit it, perhaps.

"The only reason I even consider you a friend is because my idiot of a best friend is unconditionally in love with you."

I didn't stop or wait for a reaction. But he was definitely surprised. It was only after my unfiltered speech that I realized I blurted out the truth which Akasha was supposed to tell him.

"Oh." I sighed, "And hence the truth is out... Whatever, she was gonna tell you anyway but she chose not to because seeing you and Evelyn made her feel uncomfortable. Well, that's her. But my point is, in spite of all the bullshit you and everyone else threw at her, she still loves you enough to do anything for you. Because that's just how strong she is. She's capable of loving even when she's broken and trust me, not a lot of people are that way. And that's also why, if you speak to her or treat her like crap, I will throw both you and your witch fiancée into the sea without a hint of emotion. Got that? You guys will be stranded in the middle of nowhere. Akasha has been through enough already and no matter how hard she tries, she will always end up following her heart. You should know I'll do anything for her. Do not test me."

I left him to consider ever words I just spoke but then another thing popped into my mind. I turned around to face him again.

"By the way, you suck at pretending." I said.

"What do you mean?" he asked.

"Your so called love with Evelyn looks like a well-structured roleplay and nothing more." I replied, "So quit the drama and do what's right for once. I don't know if you're acting the same way she is or that your dastardly fiancée has put a spell on you. I don't know what it is but it'll be wise for you to just stop and accept the truth."

I don't know about him but I felt at peace after getting those things off my chest. He better give this whole thing a thought though. If he cares about Akasha in any way. Speaking of which, I wanted to join her. I found her at the helm with Nolan. I guess she was beginning to cool down with these guys which was a good sign. After everything, I think the lot of us on this ship were pretty much through with fighting each other. Didn't mean we were completely best buddies. But we were united through a common enemy. The Dauntless Raiders.