Chapter 9 - Last Resort

August pushed me out of the way and then jumped to the other side as the spout of water ripped past us. Without wasting time, I let loose another arrow at the creature. It was highly demotivating; watching the arrow just bounce off its head like it was nothing. The scales on the creature looked like iron. From afar, the pirate captain was walking elsewhere with a look on his face that could give anyone the chills. He was probably making his way to Esther.

The rest of the pirate crew split up, chasing every one of us. I shot an arrow at any pirate who came into my sights. At least I was making progress on them. August and I tried to evade the dragon for as long as we could, trying to get the pirates in the meantime. The way that the dragon engulfed the area with deathly spouts of water seemed like it didn't spare anyone. It didn't take sides. Just went on a mission, wiping out everything and anything that moved in its way. It even unleashed the torrents in the way of the pirates but none of them were affected by it, even though they were directly hit.

August and I took cover behind the trees, using the thick greenery to hide ourselves temporarily.

"There's too many of them." He said.

"The dragon is just creating havoc." I replied, "It's killing anyone and everyone in its path."

"Yeah, I got that the minute it tried to wash us away."

"The water doesn't seem to be doing anything to those pirates. They seem to be immune to the dragon's power or something."

"What do you mean? Immune how?"

"That's what I want to find out. Cover me."

"What're you going to do?!"

I jumped out of my hideout and shot an arrow at the dragon. By now I should know that, that was futile. But I just wanted to grab its attention. As the arrow once again bounced off the dragon, it turned to me and with a roar, flew towards me. I looked towards the pirates and targeted the one closest to me. I ran towards him, ignoring everyone else. There were pirates who came after me and some of them right in front of me but August intervened, taking care of anyone who blocked my way.

With deathly swirling strikes of his twin-bladed sword, he sliced and cut them. The pirates tried to get at him with their own weapons, mainly swords and spears. He parried each attack with an athletic feat, following it up with a strike of his sword that was twice as powerful as the attacks thrown at him.

Midway through, a pirate suddenly showed up in front of my face, his sword swinging right at my neck. But it clashed against another blade that stopped it. I glanced at August who pushed the pirate's sword away from me. I stole that opportunity to continue on my way because I could sense the dragon drawing closer to me.

I saw my targeted pirate in front of me. He saw me coming but before he could do anything, I shot an arrow at his arm which held a sword. He dropped the weapon, clutching his arm and wincing in pain. When I reached him, I grabbed him, using him as a human shield against the dragon. All this because of a hunch that the pirates are immune to the creature's powers. If they were, I was about to find out how. If they weren't then this might just be my last moment on earth.

The dragon was frightening against the daylight. A stark, black silhouette against a bright background. I held the pirate steady in front of me, awaiting the creature's attack. August wasn't aware of my plan but when I glanced at him, he looked back at me and then the dragon. A look of surprise flashed across his face. He must have realized what was going on.

"What the hell are you doing?!" he snapped, looking wildly alarmed.

It wasn't new to see him concerned. It was just new to see him concerned about me. It gave me courage in a strange way. But before I could reply to him, the dragon neared and unleashed another torrent right at me. I shut my eyes tight and hid myself behind the pirate I was holding. I felt the torrent gush past me in a roaring wave. The sheer force of it should've thrown me to the moon but I was unaffected. When I slowly opened my eyes, I saw the water cut and branch off in two directions right when it came near the pirate. It barely touched him. Just passed by him. And because of him, I remained safe as well.