Chapter 6

"Hello. I'm Mr. Sanchez. I'm with CPS." Anna studied him for a moment and then asked "What's CPS?" He looked uncomfortable but answered "Child Protective Services. I'm here to see your parents."

I'm hiding in the kitchen praying she won't say the wrong thing. I'm a coward. "They're not here. My mom's at work. And my dad never came home." Anna answered. Damn it.

"What about your sister? Is she here?"Mr. Sanchez asked. I have to go out there. I stood up and walked to the front door. Thankfully, today I had makeup on. "Mr. Sanchez right? It's nice to see you but unfortunately my parents aren't here." I said confidently.

"So I've heard. Do you know where your father is?" He knows something. "No." I lied. "Well why don't you and your sister come with me and I'll take you to him." He said. He was glaring at me.

"Um... actually we can't. We don't know you." I said shakily. He pulled out his CPS ID card. "Now you do. Now come with me, or I'll have to escort you out." He said.

I told him I'd be just a moment. I grabbed my shoes and wallet. When I came back to the door he was still standing there talking to Anna. "Are you ready?" He asked. "I guess."

xxxxxxxxxx

He led us to his car. He opened the backseat door for us. When he got in he began to tell Anna all about our dad.

"Your father was arrested for drunk driving. He's at the Lincoln County Detention Center right now. They've posted bail of 100,000 dollars. Now, I know you don't have that much money. So he'll just have to stay in a holding cell for now. Also, I've checked with your mother. She's the one who originally called me. Told me she was a concerned citizen and she thought that you two might be being abused. Is that true?"

Anna gasped. We made eye contact for just a moment and then both answered "No." simultaneously. He gave me a look in the rear view mirror and then kept driving. At least now I know what he knows. But my mother??? Why does she want to get herself in trouble?

Sorry for any grammer or spelling errors. Thanks for reading. Please comment! I love to hear from you.