Chapter 1

I walked through the hallway to the kitchen. My hands brushing the walls. I couldn't believe what I was about to do. What if someone finds me? I ignored the thought.

As I got closer to the front door, I adjusted the straps on my backpack. Quietly, I unlocked the door and opened it. Slipping outside into the summer night. I walked off the front porch and went to my mom's SUV. What if a cop pulls me over? The thought screamed in my mind. I only had my permit, but I didn't care.

I turned the key and pulled out of our driveway. As I came closer to the end of the road, I couldn't help thinking: This is a bad idea. I should go back. I swiftly turned the car around and parked in the driveway again. As I slowly opened the front door, I saw my dad. He was drunk and passed out on the couch. Am I really related to that? I walked quietly back to my room.

On my way down the hall, I stopped at my little sister's room. She seemed undeterred from what had just happened. What about Annalynn? How could I leave her? Finally, I started walking back to my room. I closed the door and changed into my pajamas. A pair of sweatpants and an old t shirt.

Then I laid down in my bed and pulled the covers over my head. Hiding from the world. I should've left. I shouldn't have come back. They don't need me or want me. Suddenly, huge wracking sobs escaped my body. But I muffled them with my pillow. They couldn't hear. I wouldn't let them hear what they did to me. My mind goes back to the events of the day. Everything started out so well.

I had woken up right on time and quickly took a shower and brushed my teeth. Then I put my hair in a ponytail and headed to the library to finish a summer project one of my teachers had assigned me.

When I came home my mom was was waiting. "Watch your sister and make sure all the chores are done." Then she left pushing me out of her way. "SCARLETT I'M GONNA KILL YOU!!" My sister's voice echoed through the whole house. She came rushing down the stairs. "I can't believe you! You left me all alone with her. Why would you do that?" I tousled her hair and went to my room. I needed a break right now and my sister and her separation anxiety wasn't something I could deal with.

I went to my room, climbed inside my small closet and closed the door. Immediately, my body started breaking apart. I cried and screamed until my voice was hoarse. All while my sister banged on my door.

I climbed out of my closet and looked at the clock. Damn it's already 1:30. I ran out of my room to start the laundry. Then I vacuumed the whole house, loaded the dishwasher, dusted, scrubbed the toilet and bathtub, and started cooking dinner.

My mom came home at 6:00. Like always. Luckily, I had dinner sitting on the table. "Annalynn, go to your room." my mom said. Anna gave me a worried look and went down the hall. Once we heard her door click, my mom stood up. She was big. She was tall, about 5'9. And her shoulders were naturally broad giving her a boyish look.

"Scarlett, come here" I dared to step closer. "What is wrong with this plate?" She asked sarcastically. "I-i-its empty..." I stuttered. She stood up and slapped me. Right across the face. I stumbled back. This time she slapped me and then kicked behind my knee causing me to fall over. I curled into the fetal position.

Why does she do this? This can't be happening again. She kicked my ribs. It's just a bad dream. She kicked my kidney. This isn't real. She kicked me in the head. And everything went black.

Sorry the chapters short. Let me know what you guys think and comment if you think I should continue this story. I'm not sure about it yet.