Trying Not To Love You (6)

The school day was about over. Dani and Will insisted on giving me a ride home, but I declined the offer and started walking down the sidewalk.

The Sun was shining high in the sky, creating a happy mood. But I wasn't happy.

My baby girl just got adopted, and I have to put up with a stupid idiot at school. Why did my life have to become much more complicated than it already is?

I hear the sound of rusty swings and laughter. I look to my left to see that I was now by the park, the park that I used to go to with Quinn. It was the last day I had with her.

I remember pushing her on the little baby swings and playing dolls with her. Those were such happy times, but I knew what I did was right. At least I think it was right giving her up for adoption.

I cross the street and head towards the park. The leaves were falling and the grass was still green, but only with a hint of brown in there.

Heading torwards the playground, little children look at me with terrified looks on their faces while running off to their moms, or playing somewhere else with other girls.

I plop down on one of the swings, pushing my feet against the wood chips to make me rock back and forth. I set my bag down in front of me then grip the chains of the swings tightly, watching the little children play around the park. Man, I really wished I was one of those kids who could have fun and have no worries about anything in their whole life.

"Avery?"

I spin around, the chains intersecting another as I study who the person is.

Hayden.

Actually, Hayden with another girl who was carrying a little girl in his arms. One that reminded me of Quinn but older; probably at the age of four.

"What do you want, Hayden?" I ask in an annoyed tone.

I set my sweaty palms in my lap, waiting for an answer.

"Just wanted to say hi." he shrugs, settling down on one of the swings next to me. "Oh, and that's Lucy by the way. She's in my math class and I just figured out that she's also my next door neighbor."

I wave to Lucy, who was now sitting on the swing on the other side of me. "Hi.'

Lucy smiles at me. "Hi."

"Um, if you don't mind me asking, who's this little cutie pie?" I smile at the little girl, who also seemed frightened by me.

"Huh, never thought that I'd hear you call someone a cutie pie." Hayden chuckles from behind me. "And look, she's scared of you."

I turn my swing around to face him. "Why would she be scared of me?" I whisper.

Hayden shakes his head and laughs. "First of all, she's probably scared of your looks." he explains in a quiet whisper.

I bring my hands to my face, trying to figure out what I look like. How stupid did that just sound? "What-"

"Avery, you're pale, wear back clothing, and like two tons of eyeliner. You were also smiling like the Chesire cat. It made you look a thousand times creepier-"

"Shut up, Hayden." Lucy silences him. "It's how she is, you can't change a person's image. Well you can, but it's not as easy as you think."

Hayden snorts. "I bet Avery goes for scary and creepy. Or trying to frighten children so they could give her their money." he laughs.

I frown, wondering what happened to the nice part of him this morning. I bite the inside of my cheek, trying to prevent tears from coming out of my eyes. Is that why Quinn and I weren't that close?