prologue

thump... thump... thump...

Blue eyes snapped open as I sat up from where I lay, my breath catching in my throat. My hands gripped what lay beneath me with haste as I seemed to awake from my slumber; collecting my bearings, my eyes instantly looking towards the fistful of grass and a few stray stems that sat between my fingers. I carefully opened my fist only to see a couple of golden buttercups resting in my palm from my vicious attack on the ground beneath me.

My eyes instantly rose to look over my surroundings, catching sight of the vast greenery littered with small bits of yellow.

I was lying in a field of blooming buttercups.

With this thought, I quickly looked up, instantly finding billions of sparkling stars to accompany the moon in the sky. These flowers are blooming beautifully in the night...

I smiled, the thought quickly leaving as it arrived as I began plucking the small, yellow wildflowers from around me and began humming a strange tune. I immersed myself in the task before me, weaving the stems together intricately as I began to make a flower crown just like the ones my mother would make for me as a little girl.

The thought alone seemed to provide me with so much comfort, the words to the mysterious tune I was humming seeming to surface in my thoughts as I soon began to sing.

In a cavern, in a canyon,

Excavating for a mine

Lived a miner, forty-niner

And his daughter, Clementine

Oh, my darling, oh, my darling

Oh, my darling, Clementine

You are lost and gone forever

Dreadful sorry, Clementine

The stems tied together easily as I finished braiding the crown, setting it nicely on top of my head. My movements came naturally to me, almost like they were being controlled by a force greater than me, making me stand on my feet to walk through the meadow.

Something strange is going on... But still, I continued to sing the tune.

Light she was and like a fairy

And her shoes were number nine

Herring boxes without topses

Sandals were for Clementine