Chapter 5

Sunday we spent lazing around and doing mostly nothing. It was Monday and i was in my lab, working. It was another 5 hours till i next see Marcia. I decided to take a walk. I turned the gas of and hung my lab coat up. I walked towards the beach. When i neared i turned and took a parth that led to a type of veranda over looking the beach . I watched as mthe kids on work experince huled nets up the beach. Some of them noticed me and waved. I waved back. I walked down the stairs to the beach.

"Would you like some help?" i asked onwe of the girls.

"Yes please. Some of them are really heavy" She replied. I grabbed some gloves put them on and took the net from the girls hands.

"Thank you" she said, taking another one. We put them on a pully line system so they could be taken to the veranda then taken to a room where the algea would be seprated and put into special containers. We kept hooking them on the line for awhile.

"What's your name?" i asked her.

"Oliva"

"Thats a pretty name" we must've been working there for at least 2 hours. Then there was a deffening scream. I looked out towards the bay to see a girl waving her arms screaming

"SOMEONE HELP US!!!!" i pulled of my shirt, kicked my shoes of and and ran into the water yelling

"Find help" i swam out to the diving/working boat, thats always anchored out here near the reef. I pulled myself up.

"What happend?" i asked the girl.

"She went down there to pull the last net up, but when she tried to pull it up on the boat it slipped from her hands. She insisted to go back down and get it, but before i could stop her she went back down. She was exausted and struggling to catch her breath and now she's been down ther for at least 7 minutes. I thought she would come back up, but she hasn't" she explained in a rush. I jumped back over the side into the water , not caring about my own saftey. I looked around for her, but couldn't see her. I swam back up to grab a breath of fresh air before going back down. This time i swam to the bottom.

I could see something, a shadow. I didn't dare take my eyes of it. As i swam towards it i could hear a boat above me. It look to be a shadowy figure, but i realised she was wearing a black/navy blue diving suit with gloves, to protect her hands and water shoes on. I could see her hair witch was a blonde colour. When i was close enough i reached my arm out and wrapped it around her waist. Pulling her close to my body i pushed myself of the sandy bottom.

I could feel my lungs wanting air as i struggled to swim to the top. I wasn't going to let her go, even though i needed air or i was going to pass out.  I kept on struggling and eventually i made it. I broke though the water and pulled the girls head up. When they saw me 2 other men jumped in and helped me get her into the dinginy. When we got to the beach i picked her up and half jogged back to base camp and to a mdeic room. I laid her down on a bed and a man that had been wating started doing CPR.

"Call for help" i instructed Marcia. She noded and went to get the sat phone. Shortly after i could hear a helicopter land. What happened next was a blur. Just as fast as they got here they left with her and her family. I was a bit of shock after what happend. I walked slowly to the beach and sat on the stairs. Marcia wrapped an arm around me.

"She'll be fine. The medic said her pulse was strong" she said.

"It's my fault" was all i could say.

"It was her own fault . She was exausted. She shouldn't have gone back down" Marcia was wrong it was my fault. I'm in charge. I'm supposed to make sure everyone's safe. I kept shaking my head.

"Brad look at me" Marcia said, taking my head in her hands and forcing me to look at her "This was NOT your fault. You saved her life. You put your own life in danger, by going down there without the proper diving costume. You know why they wear those to protect them from all sorts of things"

"But. . . "

"Your amazing Brad and thats one of the things i love about you" she inturupted me. I noded. We sat there for a little while. Then we ate some baked beans for dinner before getting changed and crawling into my bed. Marcia snuggled under teh sheats and close to my body. I wrapped my arms around her and soon we fell asleep.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

They seem to have interesting days sometimes don't they?  Vote, comment and fan :) i hoped you enjoyed this chapter.