Chapter 4: Day 6575 - Drefan's POV

All the way to the hospital, Mallory was silent. I kept sending her sideways glances, she wasn't crying, her eyes looked so distant as she stared in front of her.

Parking up about six meters away from the hospital gate, I held Mallory's hand, and pulled her to me. I hugged her briefly before I heard her sigh, she tightened her hold on me, and whispered something about how it was her fault.

"It isn't," I said firmly. I stared deeply on her eyes, she looked broken, as usual. Her eyes always held so much pain, pain that somehow reflected mine.

"It's going to be okay, lory, it's going to be okay." I whispered softly, and gave her forehead a kiss.

She let go of me, her shoulders slumped in disappointment, and opened the door.

We got out of the car. First, walking slowly, the next second, she is running as fast as she can.

I ran after her, both of us out of breath when we opened the door.

We started jogging to the receptionist, "Is there something I can help you with?" She asked in a calm tone.

"Yes, I'm looking for Ashley Davidson, she was rushed to the hospital after having a heart attack about an hour ago." Mallory said, still breathless.

"She is in the ICU on the sixth floor, the first double door on your left." She said as she scanned the screen.

Mallory was running before I knew it, again.

I muttered a small thank you to the blonde receptionist and ran after Mallory.

Mallory had only said little about her relationship with her mom, she wasn't so keen on bringing up her family in general, but I knew she didn't have a close relationship with them. Mallory wasn't an open book, but I was an observant person, I can read her a little.

For the past few days, Mallory hadn't left my side. She wasn't clingy, it was me that asked her out, She was more than just a friend by now, at least I had more than friendly feelings toward her.

In five days, she managed to make me laugh more than I've ever did. She was more than just a some girl, she was different in every single way than anyone I've ever met. I opened up to her since day one, she wasn't very elaborating on her story, the reason that I told her about mine was the fact that she genuinely cared, and I've never got this type of affection from any girl.

When we reached our destination, Daniel's head was in his arms. Mallory rushed to her dad, I felt like I was intruding. So, I made my way to the cafeteria to buy some water for us, we needed it.

I hate that Mallory's mom chose to have a heart attack on our date, I was excited for it. I started walking back upstairs as I sipped from the water bottle in my hands. The memory of Mallory's lips on mine made me smile, and my heart to beat faster.

The fact that I had a short time with her always stung me, we'll be leaving for collage in few months. I wondered if she thought the same, or if I mean anything at all for her.

"Ehm, hey." I said, clearly annoyed that I've been sitting next to her for a minute and she still hadn't noticed.

She straightened her back, and looked at me. She was crying, her dad was crying, too.

Did anything happen to her mom? I thought.

"Is everything okay?" I asked stupidly.

Then started talking again, "I mean, uh-" I was at a loss for words, her eyes were puffy and red. It hurt me to see her like that, and be completely helpless.

I did the only thing I know would maybe make her feel better, and pulled for a bear hug.

"She is dying." A sob escaped her.

"Because of me, I'm responsible." Another sob escaped her.

Her blaming herself was my undoing.

A man wearing a white coat left the double doors, and I made my way to him.

"Save her, I'll give you any amount of money you demand if you save her." I said, I would give anything to take Mallory's pain away. I owe her that.

"Kid, you don't understand, this costs more than you can afford. I'm sorry." He said, calmly trying to walk away.

I followed him out to the corridor and blocked his way.

"I'm the heir of the Madox' Company. If I can't afford that, I don't know who will." I said through clenched teeth.

"If you don't save her right now, I'll make sure your Job here, and anywhere is over."

***

Few hours later, the doctor was pushing on the double doors, expressionless.

I saw both Mallory and Daniel inhale, while they looked expectantly on the doctor.

Daniel's face was creased into a deep frown that made his features look fierce and tough.

Mallory, on the other hand, was wearing a weary look, her eyes screamed darkness. Darkness that I've always wanted to take away. But I know for a fact that, once you let the darkness inside, it never comes out.