A happy ending to a wonderful story

TIME SKIP

   I woke up on a Saturday morning I yawned popping my joints. Today we were packing up for the trip to head back to the place were wolfs howl outside your tent while there on the hunt for the caribou. Smokeys birth place.  

    Smokey’s ghost was super hyper today as we were pulling the last of the supplies into the car. Smokey had jumped into the car with us. I smiled at him. Zane was sitting beside me, his dad was the one driving the car. I snuggled into Zane’s chest telling him the story of finding Smokey the first time,  And all the adventures Smokey and I had.  

   The most surprising thing that happened to me was that in the mail that morning there was a letter from my parents. In fact it was a package.  It had winter pants that would fit me this year... how would they know my pants size when I haven’t seen them in the last six years??? I shrugged it off my shoulder like it was nothing.

   The trees we passed were covered in snow. We were getting out of the car and into an airport. Zane and I were waiting for Cody to finish getting out of the check zone. When we were all together, Smokey including. We got onto the plain. We sat all together. Smokey was laying against my legs making my hairs stand on end the whole flight. When we had landed onto the tundra it was so beautiful.

   The aura borealis was out showing it beautiful colors of greens and golds. Smokey was tossing up the snow and running out into the tundra towards his home territory. I ran keeping up nicely. Sure I was getting strange stares as I was heading towards the tundra, the stares were coming from Zane and Cody too.

   I matched Smokeys speed as best as I could. His territory was not far off, from the airport. I smiled up at the aurora borealis as it lead the path to the snowing tundra. I was wearing the special pants and they were keeping my legs nice and warm. Amazing to me...

   The woods from my childhood was standing ahead of us 10 miles away, we had already covered over 19 miles already. Yes at a constant run for me... I heard His howl on his rock I smiled laughing in the snow as he came running back with his tongue hanging out of his mouth.  

   I laid there listening to the wolves out on the hunt several hundred miles away. The clicking of the caribou’s joints filled the night. Cody and Zane were already on snowmobiles. Cody’s had a trailer on the back of his caring the small amount of supplies we had to carry. They found me in the snow staring up at the stars and listening to the hunting wolves in the far off distance.  

       “you want to go see them in action?”Zane laughed,

“Yeah, Like when I was three again, I would come out of the tent and watch them in the tundra divide the herds up taking out the weaker caribou.” I said in wonder.

   I looked over to where Smokey was once standing and looked around for him to find him already running towards the other wolves on the hunt.

   I smiled, Smokey was on the way of moving on to heaven every step he took.  

      “Hop on.” Zane motioned to the snowmobile

   I swung around to hold Zane’s waist as the snow whipped around us as we speed closer to the caribou. We reached the edge of the woods to an huge clearing where the herd was already being split up. I could tell which was smokey’s old pack. Because the spirit of his old mate still wandered with the pack hunting the mammals. Along with the elders past. I Watched as the elders past watched over the next generations with them. I synced my voice up into a howl for the hunt. The Wolves took down the caribou and soon joined up with my pitch of howl. I smiled down at them. I hopped off of Zane’s Snowmobile.