Chapter Nine

Saturday, April 14;

02:24

Curled up in the bathtub, I felt my phone vibrate. In the eerie silence of the house, it sounded like an 8.5 on the Richter Scale.

Marco had just sent me a text: 'Open your damn window'.

Oh yes, because he got to boss me around when he was acting like a dick.

I hoisted myself out of the tub and unlocked the bathroom door, flicking the light switch off on my way out.

The passageway was silent, but I wasn't fooled. I tiptoed past the airing cupboard and into my bedroom, turning the light on.

Nothing.

I went to my window and pulled it open, waiting for Marco to come up.

"What do you want?" I asked him, as he closed my window.

"Ter, why are we fighting? I mean, honestly. What's all this hostility about?" he mumbled, leaning against the wall.

His eye had healed pretty well. Was that why I was angry? Because he'd gotten into a fight with someone and didn't tell me about it? Or was it because he had kissed me? Pointless.

I shrugged. "It doesn't matter." I paused. "I missed you."

He smiled, that quick, easy Marco-Sebastian smile I knew so well. "I missed you, too, Ter."

We stood awkwardly for a little while, and then he came over and wrapped his arms around me in a bear hug. I breathed in his familiar scent and closed my eyes.

"I heard about your shrink," he murmured into my hair. "Pretty weird, huh."

"Yeah."

He released me and looked down into my eyes. "About what happened? At the dance?"

"Yes?"

"You asked why?" He bit his bottom lip. "Look, I don't want there to be any awkwardness between us. It's unnecessary. The truth is, I had had a little too much to drink before I picked you up... and... Well, that's what happens when you're drunk."

I raised an eyebrow. "You don't drink."

"Yes, I do. Terra, I'm not perfect. I do all kinds of angsty teen stuff that you'd turn your nose at."

"So you're saying I'm snooty?" Why, oh why, was I picking a fight with him?

He frowned. "Now you're being fucking stupid," he spat. Then he caught himself. "I'm sorry. I'm being a dick. It won't happen again."

I glared at him. "I'm starting to think that being a dick is like Mr. Hyde to you."

He let out a deep, rumbling laugh. "Ter, listen to yourself!"

It was hard not to smile.

"So are we cool?" Marco asked hopefully.

"Like ice," I replied, taking his hand.

He squeezed it.

*

"What was so funny last night?"

I turned down the volume of the TV and looked up at my father. It was only eight in the morning and he was already in a suit.

"Sorry?"

"I'm asking what tickled your funnybone last night."

I gulped. "Nothing. I don't know what - "

He pulled at his tie and looked skyward. "You know I love you, don't you, Terra?" he said vaguely.

Actually, no, I didn't. I became unsure of that once I'd turned seven.

"Yes..." I said hesitantly.

He glanced at me. "And you know how I feel about deceit?"

No, not really. Only that you bugged my room.

"I guess so," was my response.

"Well, next time you have a boy in your room, you should try keeping the noise to a minimum." His eyes became steely.

I'll try, I felt like saying to him.

But I didn't.

I lowered my eyes instead.

"Well, I've got to get to work. Have a good day, dear," he added as an afterthought, and turned to walk out of the room.

I felt my heart beat faster and faster, and turned the TV off.

My mother padded into the room, chewing a cookie.

"Your dad's gone?" she asked, taking a seat beside me.

I nodded slowly.

"There's a Desperate Housewives marathon starting in about ten minutes," she said, switching the TV on. "Care to join me?"

I nodded slowly.