Daydreams and Nightmares

The music was so loud, too loud for my ears. I didn’t want to be here anymore. Trey’s hands were all over my body and no matter how many times I pushed at him or told him no, he never stopped. I had to get out of this house. My hands gripped the leather steering wheel as hard as I could. I could hear the radio playing and then, all of a sudden, everything was black. All around me, there was nothing. The bright light awoke me from my nightmare.

                “It’s okay Annie, I’m right here. I got you nothing is going to hurt you.” Zak’s protective arms wrapped around me and his calm voice whispered in my ears until the tears wouldn’t fall anymore. I wanted to say he was wrong. That it was too late, I was already hurt. Out of all the people I knew in high school, I was forgotten now. The only memory was littered across the pages of the yearbook.

                The glow from the silent tv made it easy to see around the room. But it’s what also dragged my attention to the screen that was showing what had apparently been a car. And then I saw it. I saw the road I had been driving down that night I left the party. I saw the glass and blood that covered almost every inch of the street. I didn’t need to see the body. I already knew it would be me.

                “I want to get out of here.” I couldn’t stand this place anymore. I was sick of the sad looks. I was sick of getting poked and tested and I was sick of being someone else.

                “Like you want to go get some air?”

                “No, I want to leave this place. You said you had a house? I want to go there.” It was a plea for help. I plea that I knew Zak would answer.

                “I’ll make some calls and get the arrangements set up and we can be out of here in a few days.”

                “Can I stay here? I don’t want to be alone.” Another beg. Today would be the first day I had ever begged or seemed weak in front of someone and now I had done it twice.

                “Of course you can Pumpkin. I’ll just go make the calls.”

                I barely talked to Zak the rest of the day. Every time he got off the phone and sat back down it would ring again. Sleep evaded me. I knew that if I gave into it that all I would dream is that nightmare. And I couldn’t face it again. I had to forget.

                As I listen to bits and pieces of Zak’s numerous conversations I started tracing soft lines on the piece of paper in front of me. I watched as he walked back and forth in front of the bed while I just moved the pencil back and forth. My eyes slowly wandered to the window right as a hawk landed on the sill. His head pivoted to look straight at me. I really need some sleep I’m getting delusional.

                “What are you drawing pumpkin?”  His voice pulled me out of the day dream and back to this god offal place.

                “Nothing and why do you keep calling me that?”

                “Have you not looked at what you’re wearing? And that doesn’t look like nothing to me.” Glancing down I hadn’t even noticed I was wearing a Halloween shirt with a huge pumpkin on it.

                “It’s Halloween?” But the party I had gone to the other day was over summer.

                “Yep. Who is this?”

                “Who is who?” I looked to the door to try to figure out who he was talking about but no one was there.

                “This.” He slammed the drawing down in front of me and sure enough there stood a girl in a forest. She had cuts and marks up her arms and her clothing was torn all over.

                “I didn’t draw that. I failed art class. There is no way I drew that. Plus I swear I was just moving my hand up and done. I was focused on you walking back and forth I barely even looked at the picture.” I couldn’t help but stare at the girl. The picture was amazing and so realistic. It’s something you would see in a famous art gallery, not something I would draw.

                Quickly Zak ran over to the trash can and pulled out all the crumpled up balls of drawings I had used as basketballs. Everyone had the same girl in different parts of the forest. One she was running and another she was lying on the dirt ground staring at the starry sky.

                “Were leaving, now!”