drop dead goreous or just drop dead?

The loud thumping of my heart was the only thing I heard. It echoed in my ears like a freight train. The sound of a light beeping noise was in the back ground. Shut up! I just wanted to sleep. My head was pounding like I had had too much to drink. My eye lids were heavy but I slowly managed to force them to blink and open. 

"She's waking up doc." Six heads floated in the air above me. Where was I? 

Before I could open my lips to say anything my eyelids crashed back down, but this time I couldn't open them. It seemed like a decade before my eyes were finally unglued. 

"Mom? Dad?" My eyes searched the white ceiling.  

"No dear I'm your nurse. I'm glad to see you're awake!" I felt a pressure on my hand. 

"Where am I?" The nurse helped me sit up in the white bed. 

"You're at the hospital dear." Glancing around, I saw the metal bed frame, the wires connecting my arms and neck with the machine, and the curtain blocking the glass window. Another man in a long white lab coat walked in and flashed a light in my eyes. 

"I'm going to need to ask you some questions dear. What is your name?" My mouth opened to say the first letter but all of a sudden my mind went blank. It's like I knew it but I just forgot, like it was on the tip of my tongue. 

"Andrea."  

"And your last name?" 

"St. Claire?" I wasn't sure why I chose it, it just came to me. 

"Do you remember anything about your accident?" 

"What accident?" 

"Sweetie you car crashed and you died." Okay obviously this was a dream. A stupid one at that, I mean usually I dream about things that would never happen. Like being a princess and marrying a prince. Speaking of which, shouldn't a prince be riding a horse in and saving me?!

“If I’m dead then how am I here?”

                “Well apparently you were on your way back home late one night and something happened.” I couldn’t remember any of the things she was saying. “You were pronounced dead on the scene but since we got you in fast enough most of your brain tissue was saved. Your body was just a little…how should I say…broken. We made this body as close as your human body.”

"Wait, you made me a breather?!" I had heard of Breathers but had never seen one and didn't really believe they were true. Whenever someone's body was severely dead the doctors made a duplicate of the body and attached the remaining brain tissue to it, although the body was pretty much a robot.  

"It was either that or let you die." 

"Where is my father?" I wanted to scream and cry all at the same time.  

"He is at home probably. You were unconscious for some time." 

"How long?"  

"Let's just say it's already 2020." He was telling me I had missed the Christmas dance. Me and Eric were running for king and queen.

Days passed before I was allowed to leave the hospital room. Although that sounds great that also meant I started my therapy. I had to relearn how to write and type and other things that were common to teenagers.  

"Are you the new kid on the block?" A dark haired kid with bright green eyes sat in the waiting room. 

"Excuse me?"  

"The new breather? I've heard about ya'." In an instance I realized who it was. His name had been Zak and he had gone to a private school down the street from mine. I had never met him but I did read about his accident in the newspaper. Apparently he hit a 18 wheeler head on with his motorcycle. Word had it he had tried to commit suicide. I didn't believe that, he had been voted most popular and was head football player. After his accident I never heard anything about him again. 

"You're Zak." He raised one of his eyebrows and smiled at me. 

"And you're Andrea." 

"I heard about you." 

"I heard about you too." Oh now he thought he knew me. 

"I heard you were head football player and most popular at your school. I also heard an 18 wheeler hit you." 

"Uh yeah, something like that. I heard you're car went psycho and crashed." 

"I...don't remember." 

"We should hang out sometime." 

"Yeah to bad I'm stuck here." For the first time since I woke up I smiled.  

"You can come to my place. They'll let you since were both breathers."  

"What's it like being a breather?" I sat down in the empty seat next to him. 

"Well it's hard to describe. I feel like I'm me but people all think I'm different. They don't realize that all my brain cells are the same my bodies just different. I lost a lot of my friends when I tried to go back to school, even my girlfriend." Eric. What would Eric think of me now? I hadn't thought about what it'd be like going back to school. Would the cheerleaders still let me be captain? All of that didn't seem important anymore. I hadn't seen my family at all since I came here. 

"Zak, what about your parents?" Glancing down, I couldn't look him in the eyes. 

"Um well they paid for it, you know, so I wouldn't die. I never saw them in the hospital and when I went home it lasted a week. They tried to be supportive but it ended up being awkward. Like I would walk in the room and all of a sudden they'd stop talking. I just couldn't take it anymore so I moved out." That sounded like my parents, so far. "I should let you go to your session. If you want to talk or hang out, just call me." He took my palm and gently scratched a number on it. The smile on my face came back, and this time It wouldn't go away.