Great Gatsby

“How are you feeling today?” Normal. I feel me even though everyone says I’m not. I heard stories of breathers. They were robots almost but looked like humans. Human flesh, human parts, but the soul was gone. I used to talk about them like they were machines, and now I was one.

                “Not one person has been here to see me.” I had cried all the tears out by now so nothing rolled down my cheek.

                “How does that make you feel?”

                “Hurt.” Standing up I walk away. I had been popular and now look at me. I was alone. Not one person that voted me for prom queen was here anymore. Not a single cheerleader or football player even though I had cheered by them or for them my entire life. I was alone.

                Somehow my feet took me to room 500 without my brain telling them too. Without knocking I walk straight in and collapse on the bed.

                “Good thing I wasn’t naked. Or were you hoping I was, is that why you barged in? Kinky but I like it. What’s up red?” Zak stood next to the window drawing a picture of something. His room was completely bare, but then again he did say he lived somewhere else.

                “Red?” Rolling on my stomach I glance at him before turning on his radio.

                “Yeah, your cheeks turn bright red when you’re embraced. Don’t worry its cute. Seriously, do we have to listen to country?” Even though he spoke in full conversation his eyes barely left his work.

                “What’s wrong with country? And what are you drawing?”

                “It’s depressing. All the songs are about love and love stinks. And no I don’t let anyone see. What are you doing?” Oh now I had his full attention.

                “Getting in bed obviously.” Ok maybe he wasn’t the smartest football player.

                “No duh, I meant why are you getting into my bed.” My eyes followed him as he put his brushes away and walked to the sink to clean his hands.

                “Oh because I’m getting comfy before I watch this movie.” Slowly I held up The Great Gatsby DVD I had brought.

                “And what’s wrong with the television in your room?”

                “I can’t watch a movie by myself. No one does that dummy. Now hurry up and get over here so I can push play.” Running over he jumped on the bed making me laugh and pushed the button on the wall.  

                “Hey Marie I need the movie special with two drinks. Thanks babe.” Before I knew what was going on he was pulling off the gray shirt that clung to his muscles.

                “Now what are you doing?”

                “Getting comfy. Hey if you’re going to force me to watch some movie I’m going to be comfy. Now scoot over.” Once he was under the covers he put an arm behind my head and I instinctively leaned against him. Marie who was apparently a nurse came in hold two cokes and a ‘movie box’ which consisted of popcorn, m&m’s, sour straws, sour patch kids, skittles, and sour worms.

                “Let the movie begin.”

I only caught bits and pieces of the movie because Zak and I had made a game out of feeding each other and throwing m&m’s and popcorn in each other’s mouth then yelling score. Now it was at the end where Gatsby is waiting for Daisy’s call.

                “Why can’t guys be like Gatsby.” Sighing I throw a hand full of popcorn at the screen.

                “Why? Because girls turn out like that bitch. She didn’t even call him. He spent years getting all that for her and while he’s at war she doesn’t even wait.”

                “Want to watch another movie?”

                “I’m tired Annie. And so are you because I know you kept drifting off.”

                “I don’t want to go back to my room. I’m scared of being by myself in this place.” Wrapping my arms around myself I hugged as tight as I could. I had been having nightmares the past few days and I was tired from not getting sleep.

                “Fine you can sleep here, but no hanky panky stuff missy. You know if you want to get out of here you could come to my place. Its big enough for your booty red.”

                “I’ll think about it. Goodnight Zak.”

                “Goodnight beautiful.” His heartbeat was the last thing I heard before drifting off to the first solid night of sleep.