Ch.6: So You Bucking?

Keep It Trill

"So Karon what you been up to in the streets?" Derrick, my goofy friend, asked what seemed like the thousandth time.

Karon shrugged. "Same old stuff. Why? You trying to roll wit me? I could always find you a spot somewhere." Just like that, the atmosphere had changed into one that was serious and it seemed like my chickens nuggets had gotten cold.

Shidd, I was still gone eat em though.

"I don't know, someday soon." Derrick shrugged back, not really sure of his words. He took a bite of his burger, probably already regretting putting that possibility out there.

I grabbed Karon's arm and wrapped it around my waist, bringing his attention back to me.

"Forget the street talk," I say, giving him the look. I hate when he try to recruit my friends and shit.

Karon smiled, and kissed my cheek. "I gotta head out anyways, I'll talk to y'all later." He says. Everybody nodded, barely looking up from the food in front of them.

Karon got up, twisting his keys in his hands about to leave, but looked down at me. "JC," 

I got up and silently followed him to his car and away from my friends. He looked down at me and smiled. "JC, I gotta go handle some real quick, I could come back and pick you up at 12. We can spend the day chilling, if you want."

"Karon why you always do this? You know I can't skip class, this my last year and I'm trying to get out as fast as I can! You always try to make shit so complicated." I pause, looking up at his facial expression which was blank. When he got like that I knew he was blocking me out, but right now I couldn't force myself to care. "I gotta get back to my friends." I said, playing with the hem of my dress.

"I'll pick you up at three then." He suggested, a certain edge to his voice.

I turned to leave, but he stopped me. His hand came down on my wrist. He turned me around and pulled me into him. "We'll finish this later." he whispers. He brought his lips down to mines and connected them.

"Bye Karon," I whispered into his mouth. He hesitated then pulled away. "Love you."

He didn't say anything else, only left. I had a feeling he knew why I didn't wanna come. He knew I was done with the streets even if I use to love 'em.

When I got back to the table after watching him pull off, everybody was dine eating and was sitting around playing on their phones.

"What's up wit Karon, Jay?" James asked, shooting his empty wrapper into a trash bin a few feet away from us. It landed right in the middle without any trouble and he smiled.

I shrugged, dipping a piece if processed chicken in honey mustard before stuffing it in my mouth. "Shidd, I don't know."

*3 o'clock*

I walked to Karon's car, that was already waiting out front, glad I didn't have any homework for the night. I had finished everything in my last free period and it felt pretty good.

"Hey," I said pulling open the door and climbing in.

His head was leant back and his radio was on. Migos blasted through the car, and I looked at him with a raised eyebrow. He blew a smoke cloud and turned to look at me.

"Wassham." His voice was scratchy and deep, but not in the way I liked. It was the scary kinda way that them people on smoke commercials talk, that make you wanna change by the channel. I snatched the weed from his lips and put it out in the ashtray.

"Drive." I say. He started to laugh, that ending in a round of coughing. "The fuck funny?"

"Don't take nothing from me. You done already took enough. Just cause you my ole lady I'm gone let that one pass. I mean damn, calm down Ja'Celia."

***

We pulled up in my driveway and I jumped out, slamming my door hard behind me. 

"JC, wait." 

He was high and I didn't listen to high Karon. I barged in the house to see my little sister and some boy kissing on the couch. She mustered to find the right words, but little did she know, I didn't care. I should, but I didn't.

"I'm not momma so I'm not gone stand here and give you the sex talk. At least have some dignity though..." I said, looking at the position they were in. 

I looked over to see Shay texting somebody and she nodded my way. I would've said something smart to her about watching Bree and being a good role model, but we both knew whether we were in the room or in Antarctica, Bree wouldn't listen to us when we tried to tell her about boys.

I walked down the hallway to Grandma's room only to see she was asleep. It was a Tuesday, the day she get off work, and I didn't wanna bother her. I slowly closed the door, trying not to disturb her and all of a sudden there's loud banging on the door. I rushed to it and walked out. A big pair of eyes met mine and my skin turned hot tamale red.

"Leave, Karon." I urge, rolling my eyes.

"Why? What's yo problem? For the past month you been straight up tripping. Tell me what it is that I'm doing to annoy you. Tell me JC!" He screamed.

"If you gotta ask, what's the point!"

"The point is I'll know so I can try to fix it! So we can try to fix it!"

People on the block started to stare in our direction and I didn't feel like arguing with him. "Can you just leave me alone and give me some time to think? I'm asking you nicely and I damn sure ain't asking again."

He looked around at the people who suddenly turned away and smiled. "What you gone get yo homeboys from school on me? Weak ass niggas. Don't shit scare me, JC."

I looked him dead in those hazel eyes and slapped the shit out of his face. "I'm not playing wit you, Karon. Leave me the fuck alone before I say some we both gone regret. I love you, but I'm not in love with you at the moment."

He looked taken back by the physical contact of my hand to his face but quickly recovered. He brought his hand up to his face and looked like he was about to speak, but voted against it. 

"Aight." He nodded before turning away."Take all the time you need."