Ch.2: Nighttime Strolls

Keep It Trill

A few hours had passed since Karon left and I was ready to go somewhere. My grandma had went out with her friends, leaving me with my sister. Nesha and I waited for my cousin Shalise, aka Shay, who was a year younger than me, to come him and keep an eye on Bree so we could go for a walk.

Just like Bree and I, Shay was staying with Grandma too. Her parents were more along the lines of one of those white-black families and didn't like the relationship she had with this boy back home, so gradually they forced her to move three states away to live with somebody she wasn't really blood with.

She was my cousin from my Daddy side and my Grandma that we lived with was from my Momma side, but besides that she still treated Shay like family. After all, we had to take care of each other.

Although Karon "forbid" me to walk the streets at night, without being strapped, I still went. I was bored and I felt like seeing his sister before she left, for God knows how long.

Just like he was the King of these streets, I was the Queen.

I honestly didn't have beef with nobody in the streets. It took a lot for someone to be on my bad side. Bad mouthing me constantly, sneak dissing, being jealous for no reason, being a hoe. If you got a check in at least three out of four of those boxes I immediately cut you off.

I don't fuck with fakes. Plain and simple.

As I seemed to go through this in my head, God clearly found it funny to make the one person I hate appear.

Yes, the Lord. He works in mysterious ways, they say.

On top of an old beat down Chevy, sat Umbria Miller. The one bitch that put out her pussy more than rappers put out mix tapes!

I remember how one time I was with this fine ass basketball player named Dallas and she tried to fuck him while we were still together.

She should've known better than to try and cuff my nigga but apparently she didn't. So I reminded her why I'm the baddest bitch to this day. Why I run these streets and not her. In all honesty her methods are just so sloppy.

"Yo, JC!" She screamed.

I hummed and kept walking, trying to get to Karon's sisters house without any distractions.

"Bitch, I know you heard me!"

I kept walking, but Nesha just had to stop. It was one tho to disrespect her, but she got overly protective when somebody said some about me. I turned with her, and played along.

"Is that Umbria?" Nesha joked, putting her hand over her eyes and squinting like she couldn't see.

"More like Umbrella." I bent over laughing.

She jumped off the car and started walking towards us.

I straightened up and looked at her then Nesha.

"She walking up like she ready," Nesha said, "Oh, she ain't ready."

"See when she get within arm length of me what Im'ma do is strike ha ass up, ya feel me? I hear it's called self defense, ya know--and when she lying on the ground begging foe mercy Im'ma end it, just like that." I said.

She walked closer.

"Bitch you ain't strapped, you ain't never strapped." Said Umbria, rolling her eyes.

Nesha and I laughed, "I might not be, but never is a strong word and you know for a fact Nesha stay strapped,"

Umbria halted her movements, looking over at Nesha with caution.

Nesha did have a reputation in the streets and it most definitely wasn't a good one. She had been in and out of juvenile since before she could walk and even though now she say she trynna get right, if somebody cross her or her family (aka me) she gone make sure they don't cross nobody else ever again.

"Now gone on and back that saggy ass up and inside ya shotgun house. I'm sure yo mama don't wanna have to go and identity yo body down at the hospital."

Nesha put her hand to her back pocket like she was reaching for something, with a serious ass expression, and Umbria started to back away.

"Just let me catch you alone." She threatened me.

"Bitch I'll be waiting!" I yelled back.

When she was far enough away Nesha pulled out her hand and shaped it as a gun. "Peew peew," she laughed pointing at the back of Umbria's head.

"Come on, before we get caught up." I say, pulling on her arm.

We kept walking on down the road and came up to Bug, who was sitting at the bottom half of an old basketball goal in front of his house.

Brandon, aka Bug, was a high school drop out who spent most of his time playing basketball versus middle schoolers for money. He was straight to me, if it wasn't for the fact that he tried to flirt with me every time he saw me. Usually I just laughed and shook it off but sometimes he took that shit a lil too far.

"Ja'Celia, baby girl!" He screams, dribbling a dark orange ball between his legs as he sat there.

I forced my feet to come to a stop as I turned and looked over at him. "What is it Bug?"

"Come here."

I rolled my eyes and we went to the goal. He sat there with this wide grin and I couldn't help but let a smile go onto my face too.

"What Bug! We gotta get somewhere."

"Why? Where y'all going? Oh, I see. You scared that pussy ass nigga of yours gone be mad and try to put you in yo place? You know I'd never treat you wrong. See! Quanesha know! Gone head Nesha! Tell ha!" Bug motioned to Nesha, who seemed to think this was the funniest thing ever, and laughed at me, 'cause she don't like Karon either.

I rolled my eyes at the both of them and started to take up for my man. Don't nobody down Karon Thompson without getting bucked on about it.

"First of all, my nigga ain't no pussy, apparently you the damn pussy--you ain't said this shit to him! Second, JC Nicole don't depend on nobody, best believe she got ha own! I'm the one paying my bills even though I got countless amounts of niggas, like yo thirsty ass for example, wanting to pay em! So before you go on a damn rant worried 'bout me, make sure you know...Ja'Celia Nicole Jordan run these streets.. Don't act like you don't know!"

I turned and went back to walking, and Nesha caught up with me.

"Dang, why you do Brandon like that?" She asked, "You know Bug just be playing. It wasn't even that deep, boo."

I didn't even look her way. I guess she took that as a green go to keep talking.

"Man, JC he is fine ass fuck! And he light skin with them eyes...ooh. Let him be after me I'll let him tear this ass up from East t-"

"Don't start Nesha.." I grimaced, trying to get the image of my best friend fucking Brandon out my head.