Chapter 3

Chapter 3

After- August 26; 10:00 am

I was running. My breaths came in heavy pants, and the trees i ran past were green blurs. I felt none of the sharp twigs and branches i knew whipped my body and scratched my feet. I could hear shooting behind me. I turned as i ran to look back. There was nothing but mist and green, but the sound of bullets wizzing through the air was still loud in my ears.

I turned back and screamed.

"No Kale!" I screamed and screamed and screamed. Adrian burst into the room waving a bat and yelling.

"Adrian I, I, God, it happened again!" I bent over burying my face in my hands, sobs shaking my shoulders.

 My brother wrapped me in his arms and whispered quiet things. He smelled like wood and pine and home. The same things my dad smelled like. Eventully his whispers and scent and rocking lulled me into comfort. He pulled back timidly and looked at me, checking me for injuries and to make sure i was alright. I gave him a shaky smile and climbed out of bed.

"Are you sure you want to start tomarrow? Maybe we should wait. It hasn't been very long. I think Moms right."   He looked at me intenly, his eyes drifting to my collarbone, searching for my scar.

I crossed my arms defensivly, and put it as blatanly as i could. " It's been 7 months. Seven months since i left the property. No one in this town even knows you have a sister Adrian. If i stay like this i will go nuts. It's been long enough. I did what you asked i finished school at home, I got my permit then my lincense, i even let you buy me a car! Well, since i dont DRIVE the goddamn thing, maybe you will let me drive it to school!" I huffed

He glared, but then let hisexpression fall into the stupid pit of concren. i was so sick of concern.

"Look Kins, You know i just want you to be happy, but-"

"NO!", I yelled, "If you wanted me to be happy you would let me go to SCHOOL! What other normal 16 year old has to beg to go to school!" I screamed in frustration. This was what i wanted!

"All i want is to be normal again. To go to school. To have a car. TO have a-" I paused, pulled in a huge breath and whispered. "to have a friend. And a boyfriend. I want my life back. And not going to school is just giving them what they want. They wanted to screw us all over."

He was silent for a minute before saying, " If it's what you want, you can go. But please Kins. Just be careful."  I grinned at him. " I'm always careful."

* * *

I spent the rest of the day watching t.v, wondering what to wear and how tomarrow would go. I didn't care about the things i used to. I used to care about being popular and pretty and wondering which cute guy would ask me out and if my skirt was to short or my t-shirt to stupid. Now, i knew that i wouldn't be popular. At my old school i was, but i wasn't going to be here. I wasn't that girl anymore.

I didn't want to wear the same stuff. The clothes i wore that day had been a pair of boots, knee high socks and a skirt. The torn, bloddied clothes had been taken away when my mom did her "clean out". She took away my gore covered bag, my pictures of Kale, and my ruined book of Shakespeare.The one that had been my dads. One of them had ripped apart and threw it down in the pools of blood.

But clothes aren't really important, and as they say, those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

The house is nice, 4 bedrooms, 3 floors and a basement. It's one of those upper middle class homes with stainless steel appliances and granite counter tops and carpet with vacum lines. MY room is on the third floor, hich is typical. Angsty teenager who just went through awful trauma gets the best most amazing room in the house. Next thing you know i will fall in love a football player.

Ha. Yeah right.

My mom didn't home until after dinner, which was me reheating chinease takeout for Adrian. I only had a couple of bites. I'm never hungry anymore.

Heels. Thats how you know my perfect mother is home. She has heels in all colors, shapes, sizes and each for a different occasion. Her work outfit is a low cut white blouse that flowy and professional, but her pencil skirt is short and tight. She told me it was how to get by in the buisness. Keep the top loose, but you gotta give 'em something or you' ll never get anywhere.

My mom really is beautiful. She was only 16 when Adrian was born and 17 when i was born, so she is really young. And yes, she and my dad got married when she was 16. It really was true love. Until he died.

Anyway, her hair is always in perfect black curls around her face, and her eyes are like sapphires. People say i look like her, but my hair is long and there is so much o it! It's so thick! And it's strait and won't curl at all. And really, my eyes are more the color of windex than sappires. And where she looks like a china doll, my skin is tan, mainly because my Dad was a 1/2 Cherokee. I definitely look like it. I did look good though. Back when i cared. I got lucky with the genes.

" Kinsley!" Mother sang as she dumped her bag on the chair. What is this! I've heard you plan on going to school!"

"Yes mother." I sighed. She brightened, " Well thats wondeful darling! Either way just be happy. Now, i'm off to bed. Goodnight sweetheart!"

I reached for her, " But mother-"

*slam*.

I glared at the double doors that led to her master suite bedroom, complete with jacuzzi and california king. What i really needed right now was my mother, and it seemed she really just wasn't interested.

I wanted to say how scared i was. That i was scared that the kids here in Wilson Creek Oregon would somehow recognize me. That the people in this stupid tiny town where my mom somehow managed to get paid ridiculous amounts of money would recognize me from the news.

 But mainly, i wanted to tell her i loved her. And hear her say it back.

Instead, i went up to my room, and went to sleep.