Chapter 7

I stare at them, unmoving.

They both sit still, watching me with the same curiosity I have. They blink twice, in sync might I add, and the one in pigtails tilts her head as she continues examining me.

They are fraternal. They look identical, except for the fact that one of them bears eyes as green as her mother's and the other has eyes as bright blue as mine.

My daughters.

They both have blond hair like me and a lighter complexion like Sam.

"Where's mommy?" The green-eyed, ponytail wearing girl asks curiously.

"She's speaking with some people. Mommy got in trouble. She's kind of in a time out." The little girl purses her lips while her sister giggles behind her hand.

"Nuh-uh," she rejects my answer, still giggling adorably.

"Why not?" I challenge. She puts her hand down and smiles wide.

"Because mommy is in charge. No timeouts for mommy."

"Well I did put mommy in a timeout. Does that mean I'm in charge now?" I tease the blue-eyed beauty.

My office doors burst open and my lovely mate waltzes in, growling at me. "You wish. Now tell me what you want so I can take my girls and leave."

"Leave?" My little challenger ask, sounding sad.

"Yes baby. This isn't our home."

"No where is," she whispers, hanging her head.

Sam glares at me as if I was the one upsetting our daughter. "I didn't even say anything!" I defend. She scoffs.

"Gabby why do you want to stay?"

"I like Duke- I mean Alpha Duke. He's funny." I almost correct her, telling her that I'm her dad but I'm already on Sam's bad side. I don't want to make her hate me even more by revealing a skeleton that Sam has obviously kept hidden.

I instead smile at her, fighting the urge to wrap both my daughters in my arms for the first time.

Sam looks exhausted when her eyes finally meet mine. "What do you say? Could you use three more pack mates?" She smiles slightly and in that moment I know she would do anything to keep our pups happy.

I nod to her. "Come on. I have the perfect place for you guys."

Sam rolls her eyes as I lead them to the home that was made for us. "You haven't changed anything?" She aka as she walks through the door. "What do you not even live here? It's like nothing is out of place."

"Well for the most part I'm either in the kitchen, master room, or at the pack house. The house just gets lonely if I'm in it too long," I shrug. "The bedroom is pretty much all new furniture though," I add.

"Why?"

I cringe. "My wolf kind of took over for the first few months after you left. Everything in the room was destroyed after Cole locked me in there."

She laughs, surprising me. "I'm glad to know I had an effect."

"Understatement of the century," I mutter. She grins, obviously pleased with my answer.

"Evie, Gabby, let's go see your rooms."

They both smile widely and bound up the stairs after her.

I smile after them and walk into the kitchen, retrieving items from my fridge to make chicken fettuccini. That was Sam's favorite dinner and I hope it still is or I'm going to feel stupid.

As I'm finishing up pouring my Alfredo sauce over the noodles, I feel another presence behind me.

I look over my shoulder and relax when my eyes connect with green ones.

"We need to talk."