Chapter 2

The doorbell rings downstairs and I do my best to look presentable in a couple more seconds before going to answer the door. That's another thing. I'm only in a damn house so that we would have have more privacy and room to grow our family. Now she's gone, what do I need a 5 bedroom house for? One person does not need 6 and a half bathrooms!

"Alpha?" A voice pulls me from the depths of my own mind. When did I open the door?

"Yes, what is it?" My beta fidgets uncomfortably under my stare. No one likes to be around me when I'm drinking or experiencing a hangover, not even my best friend.

"Sorry to bother you today, man. I know you had a rough night." Yeah, my reason for getting so drunk I blacked out last night. The reason my pack has avoided me all week.

Last night was the anniversary of the day I met my Samantha. "Why do you need me Cole?" I sigh, not wanting to have a heart to heart with him right now. He wouldn't understand anyway. He's still mate less. He hasn't screwed up yet. He hasn't had to kill himself to save his girl.

"Martin is asking for you." I growl, my wolf surfacing at the name.

"Where is he?" I ask Cole through clenched teeth.

"Your office."

I nod and try to take deep breaths to relieve myself of the murderous thoughts dancing through my head.

"Get another search party ready and three vans. I want to go off the territory today so we'll be needing more protection within our group." Cole falls into step beside me, nodding along to my orders. "Have any alpha's called about her?"

He shakes his head, his eyes sad. "It's been 2 years and 4 months Duke. If she had found a new pack they would have called by now. She knows. You have to know that by now. After we tracked her down in southern Canada, she got more careful."

"You don't need to remind me how long it's been since she disappeared," I glare. "And that was 19 months ago Cole. She has to slip up soon!"

He looks at me with pity but tries to mask it when I glare at him. I hate the pity. I don't deserve it. I should have been a better mate. I should have done things differently.

"I can check in with some more of the international alphas..." He trails off.

"Please do. All alphas really. We haven't heard from any since tracking her 19 months ago. It's a bit too quiet."

"I agree. I don't really think she's living as a rogue. She's too social for that."

I nod. My angel was a social butterfly. She wouldn't do well in solitaire. "Remember to listen to any extra nervousness or anger in their voices. Alphas do lie to protect the ones they love. And she is easy to love," I sigh.