Why Are Idiots Cute?

Night had descended quickly, almost so suddenly that Fenrix hardly realised that darkness had cloaked his home. He shrugged it off, it wasn't exactly unusual for him to zone out, recently anyway. He couldn't remember when he and Lucky had parted, the two had been walking casually together - Fenrix doing all he could to make up for hurting her feelings so much - lavishing her with all his attention, now night had set in and he was walking back to his den alone.

For some reason his den felt abnormally chilly. Strange, today had been so warm, he was surprised he hadn't dozed off when he and Lucky had sunned themselves in the heat earlier. Surely things couldn't have changed so much so quickly? Again, Fenrix shrugged it off and settled down.

Shortly, however, it became clear that there was something wrong, too much seemed off, too much for Fenrix to just shrug it off. He sat up, shivering as a chill ran down his spine, the long fur of his spine raising in its wake. Fenrix gulped audibly, feeling incredibly uneasy. He moved to the mouth of his den, taking a tentative step outside. He shivered, it was unnaturally cold. No way should it be this cold. For that matter, the forest he called home was somewhat darker than it should. He didn't live in a particularly thick section of the forest, mostly due to the recent falling of the larger trees a few years ago, an event that not only created Fenrix's den, but also created gaps in the canopy.

This resulted in the surrounding area being fairly well lit, yet at this moment, Fenrix couldn't hardly see past the tiny clearing he lived in. Nervous, he dared to venture out a little farther. Nothing seemed especially strange other than the almost non-existent lighting. Howerever, there was something odd that caught his eye as he craned his neck skyward. Fenrix's brow furrowed.

"Huh?" He mumbled lightly as he moved clear of his curtain of moss and vine. The moon was full. Yet the moon wasn't due to be full for another ten days, at least. He had planned on taking Lucky up to the mountains for a few days to see it. This was impossible. Also, if the moon was full, wither it should be or not, it should have provided a lot of light, yet it still looked like a moonless night down on the forest floor.

After staring in bewilderment for a short period of time, Fenrix noticed something else of a strange nature. It was a clear night, no clouds at all, yet there were no stars. Not a single one. Normally on a night such as this, Fenrix would be able to see so many stars that they seemed to create a belt across the sky. This night, however, the sky was eerie, ink black, and starless. Another chill shot down Fenrix's spine.

One of the biggest abnormalities, something that surprised Fenrix that he hadn't noticed it earlier, was that the air was, albeit thick, but bland. There was no real scent in the air. The sweet, tangible scent of fresh young leaves and young flora was gone. The air was choking and heavy. Fenrix's ears pinned back and he backed up to the mouth of his den.

"Fenrix..."

Fenrix's ears pricked forward again, and he moved clear of the den, eyes scanning for the owner of the familiar voice.

"Lucky? Where are you?"

"Fenrix..." The sweet voice sounded soft and almost tired, like she had when they were sunning themselves at the meadow earlier.

"Lucky? Come on, where are you? Come out!" Fenrix called, letting out a chuckle. What could she be playing at? If she was tired she should just come in the den, he'd be more than happy to put her up -

"Feennrriixx..."

Fenrix froze. That was not Lucky's voice. That was a raspy, dead voice, a voice he could practically hear the resentment and hate in. It was a voice he had first heard when he was a teen, and a voice he had been haunted with every since then.