Epilogue

Petra was my first and only love. On July 30th I gave her a birthday present. I brought her to the field by the lake, took her hands in mine, and gave her the small velvet box.
"Are you sure Jesse?" Axel asked me. "Petra doesn't seem to be the type for jewelry."
"I know," I responded. "But this is more than just jewelry."
She opened the box, containing a small silver ring with a ruby red stone in it.
"It's a promise ring," I said as I took it out of the box. "And I promise never to leave you." I slid the ring onto her right ring finger and gave her hand a kiss.
I could sit here and swear to you I saw her tear up before she forcefully wrapped her arms around my neck, but you'd think she was too tough for that.
"Happy birthday Petra."
And I never did leave her. We got married on April 15th, 2022, six years on the dot from the day we met. We set up the wedding ceremony with the legendary lake behind us.
She wore a beautiful white gown that day. Axel was my best man and Olivia was her bridesmaid. Lukas even made it to the wedding. I guess he was telling the truth after all, we became friends after he was released from juvenile hall.
   We had a daughter. One half of me and one half of her creating a new human being. We decided on the name Dakota. Dakota Amelia Jones. Petra was so scared, I've never seen her scared before. Sad, yes. Worried, yes. Scared, no. She was scared that what happened with her and her mother would repeat. I'll admit- the thought of it petrified me. I can't lose her, not ever.
   On December 17th 2027 she gave birth to a healthy baby girl. She survived. We all live together in my mom's old house. My mom now lives with her husband Mike, but Diesel will always be my father figure.
The rest, well, I haven't lived yet.