I Want You So Bad

I couldn't help but notice that Petra kept glancing at my scar with a guilty expression on her face. I didn't know how else to try and comfort her, let her know it wasn't her fault.
"Come on, it's getting dark. We should probably go home," I said even though I didn't want to.
We got on her motorcycle, the feeling of wrapping my arms around her gave me a stronger sensation each time I did it. I would hold on forever if I could, literally speaking. Figuratively though, I'm holding onto her for eternity.
We arrived at my house shortly, the dreadful feeling of releasing her from my arms filled me.
"Won't you stay a while?" She asked me.
I smiled at her. "You name it, I'm there."
"What about that tree?" She asked as she pointed to a large tree in my yard. I remember climbing that tree all the time when I was little.
"Sure," I said continuing to smile at her.
I started up the tree first, and once I was on the designated branch, I gave Petra a hand up; though we both knew she didn't need it. She sat leaning against one of the main branches of the tree, her legs resting over mine. I interlocked my arm with hers, fiddling around with her fingers. They were soft, yet chapped. Not the slender fingers of a delicate girl- but that of a tough woman who wasn't afraid of anything. I liked that about her. She wasn't like the other girls.
When the moon overcame the sun I decided it was best she be getting back to her dad. We descended from the tree and began parting ways.
"Do me a favor..." I started.
"What's that?"
"When you get home... Text me and let me know. That way I know you made it safely," I said.
"It means a lot that you care so much... Something a lot of people never did," she said as she hugged me tightly. "Thank you."
I pulled away from her and gazed in her eyes. "This girl... This amazing girl... Saved my life," I thought. I wanted to thank her, but I didn't know if the subject was too sensitive.
"No, thank you," I said. When she gave me a confused look I explained, "Thank you for being in my life. Thank you for approaching me when no one else would. Thank you for taking the time to get to know and fully understand me, not a lot of people do that. You're different, you're special, and you mean the world to me. And most importantly..." I hesitated. "Thank you for saving my life... in more ways than one," I smiled brightly at her, a tear brimming in my right eye.
She threw her arms around my neck and buried her face in my chest. "Whoa..." I let out in surprise as my arms caught her, my fingers entangling in her crimson locks. I rested my head on her shoulder, beginning to think she would never let go. I can't say I would complain about that though.
   She eventually pulled away with a deep inhale. "I'll text you when I get home... I promise," she smiled. We held on to each other's shoulders and she gave me a small peck on the cheek in parting.
   "I'll see you tomorrow?" I said as she prepared the drive off.
   "Wouldn't miss it for the world," she smiled brightly at me.
   I walked into my house to see my mother waiting for me at the kitchen table. "Hi Mom," I greeted.
   "Hey sweetie... I got you something," she said as she handed me a bundle of fabric. It was a new grey flannel just like my old one that got ruined.
   "Thank you..." I said.
   "I know it's hard and that you miss your father but... We have to move on," she said.
   "I know... It's just hard for me to see you with so many men! I know Dad's not coming back but..." I sighed. "It's hard to not miss him when you're out all night almost every night, getting drunk and then driving home. You could get yourself killed! And the alternative? Riding home with a guy who's also drunk. What if you had a car crash? Then where would I be? Parentless!" I said as Reuben trotted into the kitchen and sat by my feet. He must have been worried sick about me since I haven't been home in three days.
   She doubled over and held her face in her hands, crying. "I know... I'm so sorry. All these years I've tried to drown my sorrows in alcohol and never even thought of the consequences... Or how it affected you," she sobbed. "I'll be better from now on, I promise. And if you still don't want to go to prom..." She trailed.
   "Nah. I actually want to go now," I said. "Thanks Mom," I said as I hugged her.
   While she was making dinner I decided to shower. I rinsed the lake water off of me and all the dirt and grime from the- ya know- incident that still stuck to me. Finally I ran some shampoo and conditioner through my hair. I felt so clean when I got out, I felt so much better too. I examined my body for all the cuts and bruises left behind. My black eye was barely swollen, now tinted purple with yellow around it. I was surprised my face wasn't in worse condition considering the pummeling it took from Lukas. Lastly there was the scar on my stomach. There was still some dull pain there, but it was bearable. When I was dressed I made my way to the kitchen for dinner.
   As my nightly routine was finished I laid down with Reuben in my bed, petting his soft head. I've really missed Reuben lately, he's such a faithful and loyal friend to me. He lays beside me every night throughout the whole night while I try and fall asleep. I must have been exhausted because I fell asleep within 20 minutes of laying down. It was the best I've slept in years, and I think it has to do with finally having a lot of stress with my mom lifted off my shoulders. That, and I have something that's irreplaceable: Petra.