Chapter 2-Lying to Escape

Nikki

I sat at the dining table glowering at Officer Irion, my least favorite officer at the police station. I don't know why I don't like him, but I don't and I won't question myself further.

I know most of the police at our town because my sister gets caught up with them a lot. Getting almost killed once every month attracts a lot of cops. When Officer Irion had approached our house, I immediately knew that something had happened to my sister... again. I know I should show a bit more concern but really after a while it really gets irritating.

"Well, Trent, Karen, Nikki," Irion addressed my parents and me. "I have some distressing news again, but-"

I cut him off. "Is Bells in questioning again? If that's all, you don't have to go into a speech about it. You know we know the routine."

My parents gave me warning looks but Irion just turned to me giving me an ice cold state."Nikki, you're sister has been lucky in the past, but she has finally come to a point where she isn't that lucky. She has disappeared."

My family and I froze. Yes, Isabella had been close to being killed a few times but never has she ever disappeared. "It seems the way she's been taken is similar to those who have been killed by that evasive serial killer. We call this serial killer Songbird because she/he always leaves lyrics of a song stuck to the head of the deceased. This killer usually targets geniuses or people with a previous criminal record. You must've heard of the news of that right?"

We all nodded. All the killings seemed at random they could only connect it by their backgrounds and even that didn't make a whole lot of sense. One thing was for sure. My sister was one of those things. Isabella has an I.Q. of 160, and definitely had a record with the police. "What evidence do you have that it was actually Songbird?" my father asked, half in shock half in panic.

"The last time anyone ever saw her was at a party last night. She had been highly intoxicated and had left with a strange hooded gentleman that seemed to have a red hair." I gasped. No. No, this can not be happening. I had done so much! All eyes were turned to me. "Do you know anything about this Nikki?" Irion asked.

I didn't answer. The first time Isabella had her experiences we had kept it a secret. She made me promise to never tell anyone about it. Soon, it became a regular thing with her so it didn't seem to matter. Should I tell? No. No, I wasn't going to break that promise now but I need to cover up my tracks. I looked Irion in the eye and said,"No, it's stupid. There's several red heads in town."

Irion eyes lit up in curiousity and seriousness. "It might help us on this case. Go ahead and say it. It might save your sister's life."

"Ryan. Ryan Melbourne. He always hated my sister with a passion. Thought she was a demon in his unstable mind." That much was true, but it wasn't who I thought of when Irion described the person who took my sister. It was the criminal who tried to hurt my sister the first time.

The cops left quickly after that with a new suspect at hand. My mom and dad comforted each other. I spat at them in private. In their sympathy with each other, they had totally forgotten about me. That's how it had always been especially since Bella kept getting her life threatened. Although she swallowed up all my parents attention, we had been close because she was the only one who paid attention to me. I had no friends because of my sister's reputation, but that was okay because I had Isabella.

As I laid in bed and thought about that, a lone tear seeped through my defenses and down my face. I wiped it up as soon as it had fell. I checked my clock. It was 4:30 in the morning. There was no time to feel sorry for myself. I got out of bed and pulled out my suitcase that I had prepared a few hours earlier. I changed out of my pajamas into a dark t-shirt and jeans. I pulled out a dark jacket too incase I got cold. I pulled up my right jeans leg and strapped a knife to the side of my leg. Where I was going probably required it to survive.

As I walked to my bedroom door, I passed the bathroom mirror. A girl with dark hair, bright and determined yellow eyes , and alabaster skin had passed. I sneaked out, went down the stairs, and stopped by the door picking up Isabella's car keys. My parents might not notice I'm gone but I knew I would need to ditch the car soon.

I felt a pang of guilt at leading the police on a wild goose chase and leaving my parents, but my eyes hardened. I remembered how the police had done nothing to catch the criminals who almost killed my sister and how my parents barely even knew I was alive. The number one rule Bells had always taught me: Trust no one but yourself. I couldn't trust the police or my parents. I was going to rely on myself and I was going to find my sister alive.