Chapter Sixteen

Brittney was staring at me, her mouth gaped. I looked away, breaking her uncomfortable gaze.

"I'm so sorry" she repeated. I sighed, dropping my head into my palms. The last thing I needed was pity from a stranger.

I stood up, ready to leave. This was just a waste of time. I reached for the door before she blocked my way with her arm.

"Here," she choked, wiping a stray tear. Brittney held out a business card with her name and photo on here. "If you need anything, a friend, or just someone to talk to, please call me."

I nodded eagerly. I just wanted to get out of this room. I hastily opened the door and slipped out, sprinting down the hallway. I came to a stop when Marshall stood in front of the hallway waiting for me.

"How was it?" he smiled and I silently nodded, grabbing Whitney's hand as we walked out of the cold building. I decided to go along with it and lie, because I didn't want to make him upset that really nothing happened.

"Was the girl nice? What did you talk about? Is that a business card?" Marshall interrogated me. I forced a smile.

"Yeah, she was really kind. We talked about.. stuff, you know. And yes, this is her card." I answered all his questions and he grinned, satisfied with my answer.

"Thank God, I got really nervous once you left. I didn't want to force you into doing anything, but it seems you like it. I'll make an appointment for next week." I almost choked on my saliva at his last statement. I turned at him with wide eyes.

"Are you okay?" he asked unsteadily.

"Yeah," I said breathily. "Just choked on my gum." I lied, biting my lip to keep me from talking.

He chuckled, messily rubbing my hair purposely. I swatted at him playfully, fixing the strands that were now sticking up. Once we reached the car, Marshall unlocked it and we all loaded ourselves in again. I sighed, leaning my head against the window as we drove away from the building I've come to hate in a matter of an hour.

-

It's been three days. Three days since I last seen the so called 'counseler'. I didn't call her once, or talken to her at all. Marshall has been nagging me to go back but all I did was refuse.

"Can you at least talk to someone? I could hook you up with another counseler, Leila." Marshall nagged me. I sighed, shaking my head once again. He pursed his lips, deciding on whether to push me any further. I silently thanked him in my mind once he walked away, not speaking any more about it.

I didn't want to hurt him by saying no, I just don't feel comfortable with it.

Today I'm going to finally get my car. I walked upstairs to grab my coat in the closet and stood by Hailie's door. When she finally stepped out, she smiled genuinly.

"Ready?" she clasped her hands together. I nodded eagerly, following her down the stairs. I brushed my hair quickly and pulled it into a low ponytail. I ran a hand over my face before exiting the house with my stepsister.

"Honda Civic, hm?" Hailie said.

I nodded. "Yes! I really want it, always have actually. My dad had it and he used to let me..." I paused, swallowing the lump in my throat that gathered. "N-nevermind."

Hailie looked at me sorrowfully before patting my back. Once we got to the car dealer, I quickly ran to the car I desired.

"Hello! Need any help?" a fat man asked me. I nodded, turning towards the car.

"Yes please, I'd like to buy this car." I said proudly. He beamed.

"Sure thing! Is there a legal guardian with you around?" he asked, peering around my shoulder. Hailie stepped out from behind.

"Yes, me." She signed a few papers before turning to me with a smile.

"I'll need you to sign here, miss." The man said, handing me the clipboard. I obliged, scribbling my name onto the line before being handed a contract.

"That'll be... 2,500 dollars please." Hailie quickly swiped her father's card. I felt bad for using his money, but he insisted.

"You're good to go!" the man grinned, handing my keys to my hand. I held the keys carefully, almost like they would slip out of my hands any minute.