Chapter 8 - Two Slaps

Babe? Really? I didn't even know this guy, how dare he? But it looked like I wasn't about to break my promise. It looked like I wouldn't have a problem holding up my end of the bargain. Bring it on, I thought, smirking. Riley tossed his blonde hair out of his face, acting like he was the absolute bees knees. Acting as if I should have already jumped on him. No, not me. "Do I make you speechless?" He grinned.

I scowled "yes, actually, you do."

"Well, I do have that effect on people-"

"I'm amazed by your arrogance. I'm amazed one boy could think he's so good when, clearly, he's nothing special." I sniffed "sorry, I'm not usually one to judge, but this is what I've heard. In answer to your question, yes, I've heard of you, but not in the way you'd hope."

"Maybe I can change that..." he said, sliding an arm around my waist, he winked "want to get out of here?"

"Yes, I wouldn't mind getting away from you!" I tried to push him aside but Riley's grip only tightened.

"Oh, I don't think you'll be wanting to do that." He whispered, his face uncomfortably close.

"Get off me." I said. You can't say I didn't give him a chance.

"No," he grinned "make me." So I did. My hand made contact with the side of his face, leaving an angry red hand print on his skin. Riley reeled back, swearing at me.

"There," I said, frowning, "I made you." As I walked from the room, I could feel eyes on the back of me, following me until I was out of sight. I sighed and opened the front door, the cold night air welcome to cool my whirling mind. I never was one to let something go, I always defended myself no matter the situation. After all, defence if survival and survival is life.

For some reason I was alive and I wasn't about to let that go just yet.

"Rose!" I heard a shout. I wasn't in the mood. I couldn't be dealing with things right now. No. I didn't want people. Not now. But it made me grin to think of Lila's eyes lighting up. Apparently, most had bet I'd weaken. I'm glad they were sorely mistaken. "Rose!" Darn, didn't this guy give up? "Hey, wait up." The voice was closer now and I felt a hand capture my arm.

"Oh, it's you," I said, relieved to see Liam and not some random guy.

"Well hello to you too," he said, rolling his eyes "I'm glad you slapped him."

"You are?" I smirked "oh, yes, of course. You bet on it didn't you?"

"Not just that," Liam sighed "but he's an idiot. I'd feel bad if you'd gone with him."

"Yeah, me too." I said, "I don't think I could forgive myself if I fell for him."

"I don't think I could forgive myself either." I looked over at him but I had no idea what that expression meant. What he meant by those words. I shrugged it off as a passing comment. What would it mean? I scoffed, as if he liked me. Strictly friends. That's all we ever could be.

*****

I closed my front door behind me, turned the key and slid the bolts. Not taking any risks. I never did. Yawning, I flicked on the light and stopped dead in mid yawn, my senses suddenly alive. Blood on the floor. Blood. I swallowed and reached for the drawer handle and pulled out a gun. As I said, not taking any risks.

Because in this game, people don't get second chances.

I checked the gun: loaded. As I walked down the hall I clicked the safety catch off and tested the weapon for weight, measuring force and aim while I was at it. I was something of an expert when it came to weapons although it's not something I like to show off about for obvious reasons. A sound to my left made me turn and glimpse movement in the kitchen. Quietly, I slipped into the kitchen and closed the door behind me with a click. I heard an intake of breath.

The light went on and I stared into the eyes of a man and...my father. "What the hell?" I said, brandishing the gun so the stranger flinched. "I thought you weren't coming back yet. What's with the blood?"

"Work." My father said bluntly and swung his fist at the man. It connected with his temple and he slumped to the floor.

"Yeah, work." I spat "what work? You've been keeping everything from me lately. Don't you think I'm worthy of knowing? I can probably take a good guess at it."

"It keeps you safe." Said my father.

"Safe?" I laughed without humour "safe, right. I'll remind you of that next time you take me on one of your crazed missions."

"You're forgetting my position," growled my dad "you're forgetting your place. You do as I say and one day you can be like me, one day you will be like me-"

"Oh, I'm sorry 'master'" I said, making quotation marks in the air when I said 'master'.

"One day you'll be up there too. I know you've got it in you, but for now, you've got to trust my judgement."

"I don't want to be like you." I said with as much venom as I could "I don't want-" The rest of my sentence was cut off as my dad smacked me across the face, I tasted blood.

"Don't you dare say that again, Rose. Don't you dare. You'll do what you have to, like you always have. I don't know what's gotten into you lately, you're fighting against destiny far too hard. Just let me take care of this job, go to school for a bit. Don't worry, I'll be taking you back before long."

*****

I lay in bed in my pyjamas, fuming, clenching and unclenching my fist. Why was my life so unfair? Why did things like this happen? I was on the edge of breaking, of becoming cold.

I was afraid.

I was afraid I'd turn out like him. So scared.

All it would take was a few more failures. A few more betrayals.

One more death.

And I'd be a goner.

A beep made me jump, my hand flew to my pounding heart. Oh, just my phone. I sighed in relief and grabbed it off the side, looking at the message: Hi Rosie, it's Liam. I frowned and text back asking where he got my number from.

Kristy, of course.

Ah, of course. Kristy. She wouldn't have a problem with giving out my number would she? But I wasn't angry, I probably would have told Liam sooner or later anyway. I typed out: So, what's up?

It was several minutes before I got an answer, it read: About our project...

*****

A/N: Oh my gosh, I'm soooo sorry about not updating. I just haven't been in the mood and I've been busy and, yeah, I haven't really been feeling it. I was hoping this chapter would be longer, but it didn't turn out that way. Thanks you guys who have stuck around and have been patient, I appreciate it :D