Chapter 7 - Party Time

I struggled in the grasp of my captor, biting down on the hand. It released me and the owner swore "damn it, Rose. It's me, shut up, there's someone over there." Hissed Dave. I froze, staring at the figure in the corner of the room, a heard a click.

"Come out." Said the man, he brandished the gun. Neither of us did anything. "Come out," he snapped "or I'll shoot." We stepped out into the white light spilling on the floor, I squinted, trying to make out the man's features. "Ah," he said softly, coming to stand beside us "it's you."

"John!" I gasped. An old friend. Well, he was a friend. I'm not too sure about that now. I'm not sure where we stand since...the incident.

"Rose," he sighed "want to tell me what you're doing here?"

"Please," I shook my head "John, please-"

"It's sir to you, Rose." His voice cold.

"John, please. It wasn't my-"

"Stop it." He shook his head, "just stop it Rose. Don't even say it anymore. You're here, sneaking around behind my back and you want us to go back to how we were?"

"You were friends with my father, he-"

"Get out," John gestured with his gun "get out now and I won't kill you. I don't want to kill you Rose, but I'll have to if you give me no choice."

I tugged at Dave's arm and he snapped his head to look at me "are you crazy? We come here empty handed, we're not leaving empty handed. Your father will kill me!"

"It's not here," chuckled John "you think I'd keep it here in this run down place?" I looked at him. He didn't seem like he was lying. But he was a pro at it, so I couldn't  be sure. Dave pulled me towards the window, cursing under his breath. I looked back at John "I'm sorry," he said "I'm sorry things had to be this way. But they are."

*****

"You can't wear that!" Said Kristy, coming into the hallway of my house. I didn't want her to come to mine but it was ok because my dad was away. He was fuming because of what happened with John, he was taking matters into his own hands.

"I'm not," I said, leading her up the stairs "you came over too early, I'm not dressed yet." Friday night. Party night. Betting night. Lila hadn't told me how many people had betted on my situation, but judging by the wad of notes she had by the end of the day, something told me I was favourite of the week.

"Oh," said Kristy, ruffling her blonde hair. She straightened the hem of her short green dress and gazed about my room. "So, what are you wearing?"

"Jeans-"

"No," she said, shaking her head.

"Yes," I said, nodding my own.

"You can't-"

"I can." I said "and I will. Before you open your mouth again, let me tell you, skinny jeans. You know, not just any jeans. And a nice top."

Kristy closed her eyes "ok, ok. You can get away with that. But you have to wear high heels...you do have some, right?"

I chewed my lip and dug through my wardrobe "yes!" I pulled some out "I hope they still fit me..."

Kristy rolled her eyes "I so have to take you shopping one of these days."

I looked at myself in the bathroom mirror, frowning. I hate high heels, they make you so...so unable to do things. I looked at my bare arms and rubbed make-up over a few bruises and scratches, no cuts thank goodness. Only my shoulders were bare and, thankfully, they appeared to be clean. No scars. I sighed, thinking how nice it would be not to have to worry about people seeing. People thinking. It might be nice to be comfortable in my own skin for once.