Chapter Twenty One

Jester’s POV:

I stepped of the boat with a hop and began to skip down the dark street. The man in the Scarecrow mask just sulked behind me, muttering to himself. The streetlights cast just the right amount of amber lighting down on me in order for me to see my boots.

Everything was quiet as the ocean noises went out of earshot. A smirk shined across my painted face, this was the opportunity I had been waiting for. The chance to prove myself to the Joker, the chance to wreak havoc.

After walking a good few miles, I turned my head around to check on Scarecrow, he was still following behind me, slow as ever. I turned around the corner of a building and became startled as I ran into something.

“Boo”

I regained my vision and realized that I had ran straight into Scarecrow.

 But how is that possible? He was behind me! How did he manage to sneak up on me?

I shook my confusion off, not caring for his games. I had a job to do.

“You can’t scare me.” I said boldly. Joker had mentioned that Scarecrow loved to torment his victims by scaring them to death, but I was not a victim. If I was immune to pain, then I was immune to fear.

“Oh can’t I?” he asked with a delicate laugh. He ran his hand through my hair, his soulless, faceless mask was inches from my face. “That’s so cute. Little miss immune to pain thinks she is immune to fear. Well let me tell you something, sweetheart. No one is immune to fear”

Unexpectedly, he held up his wrist and some sort of gas or toxin came shooting out of it.

I staggered backward, surprised. I began to cough and choke on whatever was poisoning my lungs. My eyes began to betray me.

The dark street molded into a brightly lighted, massive room. All sorts of people surrounded me. I couldn’t recognize who they were but I knew I should have. Then my eyes locked on the Batman and his sidekick. I lunged at him, enraged but he just pinned me to the ground.

Then Robin whispered in my ear, “Hello, Annie”.

I began to squirm but I couldn’t move. Batman had a death grip on my arms.

“Stop calling me that!” I shouted at him. He just smirked back at me.

“You’re nothing to the Joker. He’s just using you. He poisoned you into thinking that he cares about you. When he’s done with you, he’ll just throw you away like the garbage that you are.” Batman said, his eyes spearing into my soul.

“Get off!” I shouted, I could feel my heart racing. Why was this happening?

Batman picked me up off the ground and began dragging me somewhere. He opened a door and threw me inside. Unlike the bright ballroom, this room was completely dark. I couldn’t see anything but I could hear breathing.

“Who’s there?” I asked firmly. “I’m not afraid of you!!” I yelled.

Something shot out of the dark and grabbed my wrist. I screamed, which shocked me as I didn’t thinking I was capable of screaming.

“You should be afraid” a voice said as a match was lit. The little bit of light that the match provided was held up next to a face. It had short brown hair and eyes that were rolled back into its skull.

My breathing increased by a million breathes per minute, I thought my heart was going to stop beating. The dead looking man was so familiar, how did I know him?

“Hello, little sis” its raspy voice said.

My mind began to race. Little pieces of memories began to cloud my head. I knew his name but I couldn’t think of it. It was like something was trying to stop me from remembering.