Chapter Fourteen

Annie’s POV:

Imagine the feeling you get when you’re having a nightmare. You want to scream but you can’t, you want to run but you’re body physically won’t move, a wave of true fear paralyzes you.

Well that’s exactly how I felt as the Joker called out “Doctor, we are ready for you” and a giggle escaped his lips.

The only door that led to the room cracked open. A tall, emaciated man with long arms crept through the door way. His eyes were the strangest shade of yellow. He was bald and had a peculiar beard. He looked like the mad scientist in every horror movie I had ever seen—and I’ve seen a lot of horror movies.

His tall figure hunched over as he eagerly approached me. I squirmed like my life depended on it. The grips on my arms held me down on the table. I wanted to scream but there was no one that would hear me.
“Batsy, this is Hugo Strange. But I think you two have met.” The Joker said as he handed the doctor the syringe. Doctor Strange, the name suited him.

“Let’s begin the procedure” Dr. Strange said as he placed a withered hand on the table. The Joker stepped out of the view line of the camera and the doctor began fiddling with the medical supplies. His hands were cold as they touched the crook of my elbow. He dabbed my skin with some kind of wet cloth.

He began to hum which nearly startled me to death. The fact that he could engage in such whimsicality whilst he was most likely killing me was utterly horrifying. I felt a sharp twinge of pain as some kind of needle dug into the skin on my hand. It appeared to be some sort of IV.

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw the doctor pick up another needle. This one was larger than the IV but smaller than the one containing the gross green liquid. He forcefully held down my arm as I attempted to flail it about. With precision, he jabbed the needle in the crook of my elbow. I bit my lip to hold back a scream.

“You’re much braver than I expected, Ms. Bo” Hugo Strange said with a crooked, maleficent smile.  He resumed his out of place, terrifying humming. 

My curiosity and fear soon got the best of me. “What’s the survival rate for this ‘procedure’” I asked sarcastically, trying to mask my emotions.

“It’s hard to say…”Dr. Strange said as he continued poking me. “Considering the fact that you are the first human trial with this particular serum…I’d say the chance of survival is about twenty three percent.”

The truth made me bite down on my tongue in sheer  horror. They were toying with my life. They could kill me at will. I shuddered at the thought of dying cold and alone.

I wanted to yell profanities at the doctor and the Joker, my rage was consuming me. As I tried to do this, my mouth became increasingly dry. My eyes darted around the room as my vision became cloudy. Noise all melted together, but I could still clearly hear Dr. Strange’s eerie humming.  I realized whatever he had injected me with was now affecting me. Every movement I tried to make felt like I was running through quicksand.

I was just able to make out Dr. Strange pick up the largest needle, the one containing Poison Ivy’s neurotoxin.

My thoughts surged:

This can’t really be happening. It has to be a nightmare. In a minute, I’m going to wake up and Nick is going to be alive and he’s going to tell me not to drink hot chocolate before bed.

The needle got closer and closer to my skin.

No, this can’t happen. Any minute now, someone will race through that door and save me. Batman and Robin will find me; they have to save me in time.