In Your Eyes

'Aww come on, Hermione!'

'No, he's better without me.' Replied Hermione.

'No, he's a nervous wreck.' Astoria sighed, remembering how cold and unfriendly Draco had become. Before he was tolerable; now he was pushing it.

'And get him back only to make him suffer?' Hermione scowled to herself. 'It's what Umbridge wants, she knows how-'

'She doesn't know us! She doesn't know a single thing about us, not really, anyway.' Astoria snapped, her brown hair shimmering viciously in the wand light as they spoke.

'What if he doesn't even want me back?' Hermione spoke softly.

'Of course he does!'

Hermione remembered their briefly awkward conversation yesterday and winced at the stiffness of it all. 'He hates me.'

Astoria Greengrass was not one known for impatience, but at that moment she wanted to take Hermione by the shoulders and shake some sense into her.

'He's angry, but that's understandable.' Astoria sighed. 'You were pretty harsh.'

'Ginny told me-' Hermione started but Astoria cut her off.

'Ginny wasn't herself that day,' Astoria leaned into a whisper, 'some people are saying it wasn't even her. Literally.'

Hermione hadn't considered that. 'Polyjuice?'

'I'm guessing. I mean, there's not a lot of us that can even attempt it, but I can't see any other way.'

Hermione hadn't told her about her own experiences with Polyjuice potion, and kept quiet. 'Who would do that?'

Astoria pulled a thoughtful expression. 'No offence, but you and Draco weren't exactly a popular couple. All I'm saying is that it would do you both some good to get back together.'

There was a long silence in the library before Astoria spoke once more in a small whisper. 'I know you still love him. I can see it in your eyes.'

Hermione flushed pink and averted her eyes from Astoria's, as if that would do any good.

The crackle of the loudspeaker even sounded in the library with an accompaniment of several sighs and groans. 'Curfew is in exactly ten minutes. Students are required to be in their dormitories by 9:01 at the latest.' Umbridge's voice made blood boil in the library, and the two girls irritably picked up their bags and said their goodbyes quietly.

*~*~*

Draco Malfoy sat by himself. The fire of the Slytherin common room warmed him and only him until just before 9 o'clock, when Astoria Greengrass burst in, also alone.

'Draco!' She greeted friendlily, sprouting a smile.

'Hey.' Draco said dully, and made a weak attempt at a smile.

'Jesus, Draco, that smile will be in my nightmares.' She chided, and slumped into the sofa-chair. Draco usually enjoyed her company, and so ignored her teases.

'I talked to Hermione.' Astoria said casually.

Draco stiffened. 'Good for you.'

She rolled her eyes. 'Draco, you have to stop with the whole 'I don't care' vibe thing.' She raised her eyebrows. 'It's very annoying.'

'It's not a thing. I really don't care.'

'You're such an idiot.' Astoria mumbled.

Draco scowled. 'Why am I the idiot?' He furrowed his eyebrows. 'She's the one who never cared in the first place!'

'Of course she cared!' Astoria said obviously. Moving from her armchair, she sat cross-legged in front of Draco by the warm light of the flames. 'How could she have not cared?'

Her soft green eyes shone in the fire-light. Draco said nothing for some time as he was indulged in the colour.

'Have I got something on my face?' Astoria frowned.

'No, I'm sorry, it's just your eyes are so beautiful.' Said Draco before he could think. He immediately regretted saying it, seeing her expression.

'Hermione-' she started, but stopped as Draco interrupted.

'Hermione isn't my girlfriend.'

'That doesn't mean you don't want her to be.'

Draco wasn't thinking clearly as he said, 'I don't want her.'

Astoria had an unwelcome sense of foreboding as Draco stared into her eyes. 'Yes you do, Draco.' She said.

What would it take to make her see I don't care?, thought Draco. That's when it came to him like a bullet to flesh, like a tiger to its prey. Without considering the consequences, he pounced.

He leant in, swift and strong, to meet Astoria Greengrass' unprepared lips in one kiss. Of course, she was confused; but she didn't resist, and went along with the kiss, soft and willing against him.

In the first few moments of the kiss, Draco Malfoy forgot all about Hermione Granger. He forgot how hurt he was when they broke up, how lonely he felt now. He forgot for those few moments.

And he'd do anything to do it again.

*~*~*~*~*

A/N:

Sorry this chapter's a tad short! I liked ending it here Muahahaha :3