Chapter 1

I was running, breathing heavy, stepping on a branch after branch. My day for the guards to come and collect was here. Like many of the other girls in my neighborhood today is the day. These girls that I was friends with, girls that all have families and siblings no doubt. How could the vampires be so cruel to all of us like this? All I wanted to do was be with my family. I love my family and will do anything for them like they would do for me. They told me to run, run west and go to a cabin that's 20 miles away and wait for them there. Then we would leave, leave where an area of land the vampire hasn't claimed yet. They were done losing their kids and with my little brother being taken next year. I think they finally broke.

I was running through the woods because I thought that would be the quickest way to get to the cabin and hide. I started to slow down when I thought it was safe. I soon realize it is never safe.

Then I hear noises in the bushes. I freak out thinking they found me, but then a rabbit jumps out and I let out a sigh with a slight chuckle at my own stupidity. Then I turn around and bump into someone and before I pull away he turns me around and so my back is to his chest. He holds my arms behind my back. No doubt he was a vampire, his hand felt so cold and it just felt like all the happy thoughts and anything good in my life had been taken away from me and I felt empty. I felt like I would be alone forever; I felt...dead. I have never been touched by a vampire before and i didnt like the way it made me feel. I struggled to get away from him but his grip felt tightened and my arm started to go numb and I stopped squirming so I could get some feeling back in my arm. That would most likely leave a bruise. Then a man or should I say vampire walked in front of me. My head was down looking at the ground so I didn't have to look at the filth before me. But he grabs my chin roughly and makes me look at him.

"You have such a pretty face I would hate to have to ruin right before the auction, you could bring the auction house a lot of money," he said with a smug smile on his face. I spit in his face and his smug disappears with a very pissed expression. Then I feel a sharp stinging pain on the left side on my face. My head snapped to the side quickly and I felt weak from the impact but the guy holding my arm kept me from falling.

"Little bitch," he turns away, "get her in the cart with the other whores." He said looking at the man that was holding me with his monster grip. He picks me up and everything that goes by is a blur then I realize he used his vampire speed. I didn't realize just how deep I was in the forest till now. He opens the cart and throws me in like the trash that needs to be taken out. There were bars all around the cart and they were all chained so we could not get out. I have seen this cart go by too many times. Every year I see at least 12 girls in it. Crying and holding and comforting one another, now I am one of those girls.

"No!! My baby you can't take my baby! SHAY!" I suddenly hear my mom's screams and cries. I then get up, look through the bars and see her screaming and my father holding her back.

"MOM!! Please don't let them take me, I wanna stay!" I yell back with tears in my eyes. She breaks free of my father's hold and runs to the bars and grabs my hand through the bars and gives me what is in her hands.

"I know sweetie you are strong for me and always remember your family will always love and be here even when we aren't near. I will be there every time you close your eyes and in your dreams," she said now sobbing. Then the guy that was in charge the same guy that hit me in the woods came and grabbed my mom.

"STOP!!! DON'T HURT HER!! Please don't hurt her." I was screaming at him still crying. All he did, thank goodness, was throw her off to the side. Believe me, he could have done worse. I have seen worse.

"Let's move!!" the guy in charge yells at everyone. Then the cart starts moving. I see my mom crying in my father's chest. I mouthed I love you. They both responded with a 'love you too' That just made me break down even more. Now we are on our way to be sold off like we are some kind of animal.

I then sit down next to a girl with blond hair who has been crying you can tell by her red nose and eyes. I don't bother to comfort her. I usually would do anything to help someone else but, I just couldn't find the strength. I then look in my hands to see what my mother had given me. It was the necklace but not just any old one, no. It was my grandmothers. It was a silver chain with 4 hearts all connected, side by side. The on the left had little purple rhinestones all around the heart, framing it in a way that makes it look beautiful. Then the middle left heart had pink little rhinestones. Then the middle right one had light blue rhinestones, it was the most beautiful shade of blue. Then there was the far right one. It had the color like an emerald green, it was just beautiful. (In case you couldn't follow that I went just from left to right in one straight line) I never got to meet my grandmother but my mom said that my grandmother had given this necklace to her when she most needed it. -She never told me what was the time she most needed it- Then she told me that it would be passed down to me one day. She said it holds great power. Then I start to cry. This was the day I would most need the necklace and I think my mom is right. I'm just so scared. I put the necklace on and then waited for the auction to come which was in two days.

During all of this, I seem to have fallen asleep when the cart went over a big bump. I was startled awake and saw the vampires feeding off a girl.

"No stop you're hurting her you can't just do this!! Where is your humanity!?" I screamed through the bars around the cart.

The 3 vampires that were feeding on the girls were in front of me in a heartbeat. I shrieked and fell back. They all just laughed and all I could seem to notice was the blood dripping from their mouths. I looked away disgusted not just from what I had witnessed but from the fact that there was nothing I could do.