Chapter Three

-Chapter Three

The lights were dim, and I couldn't make out anymore mountains or buildings through the window. There was a thick fog that covered the outside, along with heavy blackness.

The people in the airplane had quieted down, only a few murmurs audible every couple minutes. Most lights were turned off. Wes was already sleeping too, and had already started in on a faint snore.

His head rested against the side of the airplane, next to the window.

When he was asleep, he was different. Not the usual annoying guy I hated. His face was the flawless that I wish I could be. It took everything I had not to lean over and kiss him.

His peaceful expression reminded me of all the times in high school. The good times. Not the fights. 

"Welcome to the neighborhood," I said, knocking on the white door, the entrance to the Anderson's new house. I held out the tray of brownies to the teenaged boy who opened the door. I was in seventh grade, and I was so sure he was the cutest boy I had ever laid my eyes on. 

I met his younger brother Blake a few days after. He was an annoying kid, complete with braces and acne. I didn't pleasure hanging out with him at all, but if it meant getting invited over to the Anderson's house, then it was worth it.

Wes never looked at me as anything more then the little girl who lived next door, who sometimes came over to "play" with his kid brother, until my freshmen year, and he was a junior in high school.

I had been having trouble with Algebra, and Wes happened to be a genius at it. Wes seemed to be good at everything. His mother volunteered him to tutor me over weekends. At the time, I thought it was a grand gester from Wes. Little did I know, his mother forced him to as a punishment of him sneaking out past curfew to hang out with a girl the week before. Of course, I didn't know that until we later had one of our arguments, and Wes informed me of it to make me feel bad.

The first Saturday he came over, I made sure I doused on a little extra bit of perfume. He taught me a few of the basics, and left. Just like that. It was fast and quick. I assumed he was in a hurry to go somewhere important after.

He came over on Sunday night too. I could tell he was exhausted, and annoyed.

"Look, if you don't wanna be here, you can just go do something else," I suggested, trying to relieve him. Back then I'd do anything for him, although the thought of him leaving made me sad. I just didn't want him to do something he didn't want to at all. I wasn't going to be a charity case. 

He smirked at me, "It's not that I don't want to be here. I'm just tired. I was forced to work out on the farm all day today,"

"All day? That's a long time to work, especially on your weekend," I said, considering his predicament.

He shrugged, "My mom doesn't seem to agree with you,"

"You know, I could help if you need it? Get the job done faster?" I laughed at the pathetic gesture of mine. I would do anything for him back in the day. 

He chuckled, "What do you know about farms? What are you like, fourteen now?"

"Fifteen in two months,"I corrected, "And I know enough. I've lived in Alabama my whole life. I know how things work around here."

His quiet laugh continued, "You don't know what you would be getting yourself in to."

"It's a favor for a favor. You're helping me with this, I'll help you with your farm stuff. But if you don't want me to, I guess you can work all day."

"No, I'm taking the offer. I just think you got your work cut out for you," He said, raising his eyebrows, questioning me.

"You wanna bet on that?" I smiled.

"You're on," he said, shaking hands with me. The biggest problem between us, was we both went through great lengths to prove we were right. We were and always have been extremely stubborn.

"Twenty bucks says I can do anything you can."

The next weekend, there was a knock at my door at about 5:30 in the morning. I opened the door, yawning, still dressed in pajama pants and slippers.

He smiled sarcastically, and waved, "Ready to go?"

I yawned again, rubbing my eyes, "What are you doing here so early?"

"This is the time I wake up on weekends to feed the animals breakfast, but if you can't handle it you can go back to sleep"

I groaned, trying to process the information, as I was still half asleep. What I wanted most was to go slip back in to my comfortable bed, but I would never let him win this.

"Give me ten minutes, and I'll be outside," I said, before closing the door.

After I put on an old pair of overalls and braided my hair to the side, I went outside to meet Wes standing on my front porch. He was wearing brown scuffed up work boots, and a pair of dark-washed Levi's jeans with a plaid cotton shirt. The look wasn't exactly helping to get rid of the crush I had began to develop. 

He was smiling, trying to hold in a laugh, "For a second I thought I was going to actually win." 

I smiled back, "Never." 

I helped him with the farm every weekend, for an entire month. After that ended, Wes grumbled, but still forked over the twenty bucks he definitely owed me now. I didn't stop going out there every weekend morning to help him  in the farm though. By then, I was so used to the routine it would be too weird falling out of it. 

He had warmed up to me. He told me everything about his life, and soon enough: we were best friends. Then eventually one thing lead to another, I grew up out of the awkward pre-teen stage, and we ended up dating, as much as I regret to admit. 

Because when I look at his beautiful, flawless, country-boy face, all I wish now was to take back everything that happened during the time I spent with Wes. 

He made me crazy and insane. One second I couldn't stand being near him, and the next we were kissing next to a horse in his barn. 

There were too many fights though to ever think we actually had a chance.

 I tried to relax now, as I fluffed out the pillow beneath me a little more. I laid my head against my seat, trying to force myself in to a good sleep. All these things were too much to think about. 

I wanted to avoid them as much as possible.

______________________________________________________________

Hey guys! 

DON'T FORGET - to tell me what ya think!!!!

I'm in the watty awards. VOTTTTEEEE! :D 

I (kind of) actually proofread this one! ENJOY! 

xoxoxoxx -R