Chapter 1: Rumour

I look at myself in the mirror that's hanging over the sink in my own bathroom. My black hair, dyed, is hanging in stripes around my heart-shaped face and with a sigh, I quickly take off my pyjamas, jump in the shower and shampoo my hair. The hot water is a welcoming escape from reality, if so just for a few minutes until I unwillingly step out of the shower and get dressed in a pair of dark, trashed jeans and a simple black tank top. Because it's winter and chilly outside, I also put on my black hoodie with the text "Leave me alone" standing in a big font at the back.

Don't get me wrong, I am not one of these socially awkward people who hates everybody, I just like the hood, and I am not one of this rich kids so I don't really own many clothes either.

As I put on my makeup, mostly eyeliner and red lipstick, Cuffy comes in and moan.

Cuffy is my "family's" cat and he is truly adorable with his brown fur with splashes of white.

I live in a foster care, my parents left me for adoption as soon as I was born and since then I've been moving back and forth over the country but I haven't found a place I can call home, not yet. But I don't really care. I am one of this easygoing people and I never dwell in the past.

I might have a different style, some people would call me for an emo but I honestly don't care what they think. I'm not one of the most popular girls in the school, but I'm not disliked either. I get along with everyone and got a bunch of really good friends. Especially Lindsey, who is my BFF.

As I am done with my makeup, I pick Cuffy up and cuddle with him for a few seconds before I peck him on his little cute head and run down to the kitchen where Carol, my guardian, stands by the counter with a pile of waffles by her one side and a waffle maker by her other.

"Mmm, smells good", I say as I sit down at the table and take a plate and fill it with waffles and maple syrup. She smiles at me in response. I really like Carol and her husband Brian, and their ten years old daughter, Lottie, is just adorable! Maybe I finally can settle down here? They are really nice, but I don't want to rush anything so I will just wait and see if my thoughts and feelings changes or not.

As I am done with the breakfast I put the plate in the sink and grab my white and black striped backpack and head towards school. Normally I would walk the twenty minutes it takes to get there, but the weather is really windy and it's snowing so I have decided to take the bus but as I walk to the bus stop, a blue car slows down and someone wind down the window, revealing a guy with untidy, brown hair and a nice smile.

"Hey, Alex", he says and I smile in response at my friend Peter.

"Want a ride to school?" he asks and I jump into the back. The driver is a blonde girl named Patricia, another one of my friends and Peter's girlfriend.

"I didn't know you ever let a girl drive your car", I tease Peter as I am safe from the cold, thankfully sitting inside the warm car.

"Usually, I wouldn't but I lost a bet and now I have to let her drive in my car to the school the rest of the week", he says with a sad tone. I chuckle and look out at the white street we pass and a few minutes later, we are parked at the school's parking lot and I step out in the icing cold winter and hurry inside the school building to my locker.

My first class is history, and I take my book and quickly walk to the right classroom where I sink down in a chair in the back and pull out my sketch pad. The teacher walks in and I continue on a painting of a werewolf I started with a few days ago. I don't know why, but I find it very relaxing to paint and it's a nice escape. If I only could put in my earplugs too, but I know that wouldn't go by unnoticed by my teacher who now has started calling up our names.