Chapter 11 - Raise Your Voice

NOT EDITED

Seven days after the accident.

Vic's POV

I woke up the same way I had the past seven days: Grumpy and unrested. My body felt as if it had gotten no sleep at all and my eyelids still felt as heavy as ever.

Another day without her I thought to myself.

I sat up in bed and leaned against the headboard in thought. So they really didn't know when she'd wake up? They had no clue? So I could be waiting from days to years like this? The thought to me was sickening and I didn't want to be alone with my mind any longer. I kicked the covers off my legs and shuffled down stairs. As I made my way into the living room I noticed the smell of bacon and eggs -- and not burning, which was highly unusual. 

"Morning." Evelyn called as I entered the kitchen. She set eyes on me with a lively smile that soon turned to a somber, sympathetic face. "Rough night?" She asked taking a good look at me. I simply nodded and reached for the plate Jaime shoved at me. 

"I thought it was weird that I woke up to the smell of food and not the smoke detecto alarms." I added as I sat down at the table and swallowed a forkful of eggs.

"Hey, I'm getting better you know." Jaime defended himself just as Tony entered the room looking as if he just crawled out of bed.

"Morning babe." Evelyn called to him. At first I couldn't even stand to be around another couple -- well, that's what I considered them at least -- I couldn't stand to watch them knowing that the other half of me was still unmoving in a hospital bed. I've adjusted in the past 7 days, but I could still tell they tried to tone it down around me.

He hugged her from behind at the stove and I averted my eyes to my breakfast. 

"How'd that date go last night Jaime?" Tony asked him while the stud himself struggled to pour milk into a glass without splashing it everywhere. 

"It was great man." He ended shortly. I sideglanced him and caught him eyeing me. 

I felt like shit. I knew they were just doing it to help me, but it made me feel like an ass for not being able to listen to anything relationship wise because of Cara. My chest filled with sorrow even at the mention of her name.

"And? What'd you do?" I urged him, plowing through the eggs on my plate. I glanced at him to see a look of surprise while I watched him expectantly.

He jumped into a long spiel about their date; they had went go-karting, something I had planned on trying with Cara before... Yeah. It sounded like they had a blast. 

"Did you kiss her?" Tony butted in with a full mouth. Jaime smirked at him but turned his back to us.

"I don't kiss and tell." He said in a smug voice. Tony and I burst out laughing. 

"Oookay pal." I snorted at him. After breakfast I was planning on heading back upstairs and just spending the day alone when Mike emerged from seemingly nowhere and pulled me to the side of the kitchen.

"How come you haven't been visiting the hospital anymore? Did something happen...?" He questioned me with a certain reluctance in his voice.

In truth, I hadn't been visiting the hospital because I was losing hope. It hurt so much to see her laying there day in and day out not knowing if she was getting better or creeping closer to death every day.

"It's hard." Was all I said. He eyed me for a moment and there was silence between us.

"You should go back today. Try talking to her, reading to her, singing to her, something. Don't leave her there alone. You know she needs you too. Don't give up just yet." He urged me, but my mind caught onto one word in particular.