Two: The Come Up

Nani Cazetti

I shuffle down the hallway towards Civics and Economics with some wack ass teacher, not really bumping into anyone, they usually move out of my way, but occasionally, a freshman or sophomore will not pay attention and accidentally hit me with their big ass backpack, quickly apologizing like I may murder them in their sleep or something. I walk down the steps without a word to anyone around me, even though a few of my favorite cheerleaders pass by and poke my stomach saying "gotchya". I smile, but nothing more.

The room isn't very far, so I'll make it on time, I choose to stop by my best friends' locker to steal a pencil and a couple sheets of paper. She doesn't mind, just as long as I return her pencil. I smile at her Machine Gun Kelly poster on the far wall of the locker; it has a quote from D&G from his newest mix tape Black Flag taped on it, "Where I'm from we don't see designer, where I'm from we just see dishonor." It's her favorite new song from him. I throw up an L in his direction and close the locker.

"Hey," a voice startles me.

"Shit. Don't do that again." I do a double-take to see who it is, Wesley, a soccer star and the second string kicker. "Sup' Wes, walk with me," I gesture as I walk towards my class, two minutes left.

"I'm havin' a party tomorrow night, and uh," He traces the letters on the edge of his shirt, "you're obviously invited, but, gutta bring somebody." Wes glances up at me, probably catching a really cold stare because his eyes widen and quickly adverted his eyes.

"You know I just-" I start.

"I know, I know, you just broke it off with Hallie, it's just the whole team thinks you've been a bit...off, lately, so, yeah."

I ignore him and walk into the classroom, attracting quite a bit of attention from my peers, and sit in the front row alone.

Class went by rather quickly, learning more in depth about the Constitution and stuff like that, I don't even remember getting up to leave, but when I tune back in, I'm sitting in my third period, Culinary Arts, next to Ciara and Marisa. They're blabbering about what type of spirit gear they're going to wear tonight.

Then I hear her, yeah, her, she peacefully walks over, looks down at me, and says with the cutest voice ever, "Can I, um, sit here?" I look up to see a cheerleader replacing the girl I had seen earlier in the morning.

Nodding slowly, I scoot over to give her some room. Ciara gives me the look while glancing every so often at Jess, "You're the new girl?" She asks with her small, yet loud, voice. I don't think she actually meant to say it because she made an oops face but quickly hid it.

Jess stares up at her, the edges of her lips curled up, "yeah," then quickly adverts her eyes again.

Marisa decided to butt in too, "Where are you from?" She's always spoke proper, I never understood it, because she dressed like a boxer that wouldn't care how to speak.

Jess's brow furrowed, "California," she forces out. She has a sudden interest in taking apart her pen.

Ciara gets excited, "Oh, cool, what part?" I give her a shut up look, she shrugs in return.

"Near LA," She looks down at her phone and raises her eyebrows, "I, um, have to go to the bathroom," Jess lies, I watch her get up, stride her long legs over to our teacher, Mrs. Harn, she has a nice ass, and ask if she could use the restroom, I stare at Jess as Harn nod and fill out a slip.

"Gettin' some in school already" They make a tisk-tisk sound, "Booty-call!" Ciara and Marisa smile in unison; they cross their arms over their small chests and relax in their chairs.