22

"They're going to love you."

"What if they don't?"

"Then we will cross that bridge when we get there."

Laila winced at his response, his warm hand dragging her through the diner towards the back. It was inevitable that at some point she was going to have to meet his family but she had hoped it wasn't while she was hiding a pregnancy from him. A pregnancy that yes, she had yet to confirm with a doctor - but a pregnancy all the same.

That in addition to the fact that the Grayson Dinner was looming closer and closer and her mother was still yet to warm to the fact that she was bringing Hakeem. It all made her chest a little tighter and her stomach churn.

"Nina already likes you so that's one down two to go. You'll be fine." He kissed her on her temple reassuringly as they approached a table where three women sat.

They were all so different yet so similar in terms of facial features. It was clear that the Morrisson genes were strong.

She instantly recognised the youngest - Nina- and she felt a bit more at ease when the 17 year old stood up to embrace her. The other two sisters remained seated but waved and smiled at her, allowing Hakeem to introduce them.

"It's good to finally put a face to the name we can't stop hearing about." The eldest, Porsha, said as Hakeem rolled his eyes. 

"Yeah, I was waiting to see the girl that put the paws on Mariah's tired ass."

Laila's cheeks warmed in fresh embarrassment. The incident had been a few weeks back but it still made her feel so ashamed. She had beat up a woman who was really going through it. It wasn't one of her best moments to date. When she had told Hakeem about it, he had been so understanding of the situation that she couldn't believe her luck.

Had it been any of her previous suitors, they would have chastised her for behaving so unladylike. In fact, they probably would have dumped her for embarrassing them.

Hakeem's reaction had been so refreshing that she had welcomed the change that came with their obvious differences.

Eva scooted over and patted the seat next to her so that Laila could sit down there. Knowing  that she didn't really have a choice, Laila sat down with the redhead.

"So did you hit her with the hook or the jab 'cos I never got to use either on her?" Eva continued, even as Porsha playfully told her to stop. "I'm living vicariously through her, a'ight? Let me have this."

Hakeem's eyebrows shot up. "Vicariously? And who the hell taught you that word?"

His sister feigned shock and offence. "I've been knowing that word. What do you think I am?"

Porsha butt in before Hakeem could form his sentence. "What does it mean?"

Eva blinked a few times before turning back to Laila. "Was she bleeding? Any bruises? Loose teeth?"

The rest of the table laughed at her poor evasion of the question.

"Nina - school your sister please."

The quiet teen poked her head up from the book it was stuck in. "Vicariously? It's basically living or enjoying something through-."

"Yeah yeah, we got it." Eva interjected, jokingly elbowing her little sister in the side.

"Can we order now?" Hakeem questioned, already rubbing his stomach.

"Is that all you do? Eat?"

Laila blushed deeply when she caught the wink that he sent to her for her eyes only.

***

Their family dynamic made her jealous and it made her joyful at the same time.