15

Sitting in front of Raphael as he tried to hold hands with Hakeem's roommate wasn't the way Laila had hoped her night would end.

She had hoped to end the evening in Hakeem's place but not like that.

The situation was uncomfortable enough without the added awkwardness of Robert avoiding Raphael's affection.

She didn't miss the look of hurt that passed his face at the rejection.

"I know this is strange, Laila." He started gently, trying to calm her down. Her eyes were filled with rage and it was obviously directed at him. "And I know you probably have a million questions."

"Yeah but right now I just want to know one thing. Why did you marry her?" Raphael pushed his locs back and sighed, resting his elbows on his knees. "Did you ever even love her? Or was it an act to cover up the truth?"

"You don't know the truth, Laila." He answered defensively, narrowing his eyes at her.

Laila's mouth dropped and what sounded like a scoff escaped her throat. "You married my friend whilst you had a boyfriend on the side. Your sexuality isn't as clear cut as you made it out to be when you took those vows. That's the truth."

"Wrong." Raphael snuck in another quick glance at Robert who was scowling at something on the floor before turning his attention back to her.

She waited patiently for him to elaborate but the elaboration never came. Instead, Robert shot up and out of his seat mumbling something under his breath. Raph wasted no time following after him trying to apologise.

"I had it handled before you went out there and had to call her ass back in here!" Robert hissed, pushing him away when he tried to reach out for him.

Laila didn't know what to do so she stayed silent and watched.

"She knew. The jig was up, Robert, even you can admit that. She knew the moment she started yelling."

"Well we coulda pretended!" He swore before pacing the living room, fists curled. "She's gonna tell Hakeem."

She caught the end of his sentence and cleared her throat. "Hakeem doesn't know that you're gay?"

"I'm not gay! This is just... It's whatever." Again, she couldn't miss the pain that was etched on Raphael's features at the words. "He doesn't know anything and I plan on keeping it that way. Understood?"

She sucked her teeth but nodded in agreement. "It's not my secret to share." Robert shrugged his lover's hand off before storming away and into what she could only guess was his room.

Raphael, who was only dressed in black slacks and socks, ran a hand over his face and sat opposite Laila. He wrung his hands together and shook his head. He wouldn't stop shaking his head, the long and neat dreadlocks swaying as he did so.

Anyone with eyes could see that he was hurt. He had clearly just been brushed off by Robert. If her source was correct, the two had been messing around together for over two years. That was more than enough time to become emotionally invested in someone and gain feelings for someone.

And it seemed as if Raphael had deep feelings for the man that had denied him.

Despite the cheating and lying bastard that he was, her heart still hurt for the him.

They sat in silence for a few minutes, Raphael's head in his hands and Laila awkwardly wondering what she could say.

"I do love her." He croaked after a few more minutes. He sniffled and she was shocked when he lifted his head to meet her dubious gaze. His eyes were glistening with unshed tears. "But not like I love him."