19

A week later Laila tried to contain her laughter when Hakeem was staring at the ticket in confusion.

"'White gloves for the ladies and white bow ties for the gentlemen'. Do I have to learn the Viennese Waltz too or...?"

She tucked her leg underneath her as she sat with Holloway on the floor in front of Hakeem. "No," she chuckled. "You don't have to come - I hate these things anyway."

"Why's that?" He replied, sliding the invitation into his back pocket much to Laila's disappointment. It would probably get ruined.

She shrugged. "Going on your own is so boring."

"Well this year you got me."

Laila grinned widely. That was the answer she was hoping he would give. Already her mind was racing with ideas on suit and tie ensembles that would fit him and the possible dresses she could wear so that they could compliment each other.

Red was the only colour she could think of so either Hakeem was wearing a navy suit with a snow white bow tie or he was wearing a burgundy blazer.

If he didn't own one she would buy him one.

Or perhaps it would just save them both time and effort if she bought it straight away. That way she would know what to wear with it instantly.

That was a perfect idea.

***

She managed to rope him into a shopping trip the next evening after work but he wasn't all too happy about it.

He was fussy, uncooperative and was having a hard time taking her style advice.

"I don't see why we have gone to four stores already, I know which one I want." He said from the changing room as Laila flicked through the magazine outside the stall.

"The one you want is cute but..."

The curtain was pulled back and her eyes widened then lowered in appreciation. This one was a winner. The slim fit, charcoal suit hugged every part of him perfectly. "But I'm guessing you don't like the one I want?"

"Nope, because I love this one."

Hakeem rolled his eyes, shaking his head and pulling at the trousers. "This is not my look, sweetness, Ima be honest with you." He slid past her to take a look at himself in the larger mirror, adjusting the outfit to his liking. "I prefer the navy one."

Laila loved this one. It was perfect for what she had in mind. He had to have it - there was no other contender.

"How much is it, anyway?"

He reached behind and pulled on the label before whistling long and loud. "Hell no, did you see this when you picked it out? This one suit is $600."

When he started to pat down the suit and reach inside the pockets, she couldn't help but laugh. "What are you doing, Hakeem?"

"Trying to find the gold that's making it cost this damn much. Sweetness, I know it's what you wanted me to wear but," He caught her gaze in the mirror, an apologetic tone in his voice, "I can't afford this."

She pretended to think about it, knowing full well that this had been her plan for a while. Then she lifted one shoulder slowly in a shrug, approaching him and wrapping her arms around his torso. "I could always... buy it for you. I mean I you are coming to this event for me. It's the least that I could do." Laila didn't miss the way he tensed and broke their eye contact.

"I can't let you do that. I'll just get the one from the other shop."

"But this one suits you so well and I think it is perfect." She replied, laying it on extremely thick. She slid around until she was facing him, her arms still tightly holding him. "Let's go halves if you don't want me to buy it for you."