A Change Of Plans

"So," Jason said, breaking everyone out of their thoughts, "I suppose that this calls for a change of plans?"

"I think," Rebecca muttered, "it does." She seemed to shake herself out of a daze before standing up. "Alright, first things first: I'd like to say I'm sorry." Thomas did a double take.

"I'm sorry," he cut in. "Did Rebecca just apologize for something? Did anyone else hear that?"

Rebecca shot him a chilling glare before continuing. "I should have actually looked into the murderer. If I had, we would've known about his a while back. But I cut corners, and for that I apologize. Happy now?" She finished by pointedly looking at Jason, who gave a small approving smile in response. "Anyway," she continued, "we obviously need to rethink the plan. I don't know if a ghost could do the whole fall asleep thing or if that was coincidence. I wouldn't know. I haven't practiced using my 'powers' for 'evil' or whatever," she said, using heavy finger quotes.

"Look, I think we should go back tonight. Drink tons of caffeine, not let our guard down, see what happens."

Thomas frowned. "I'd hate to be the responsible one, but don't you have work in the morning?"

Jason waved I dismissive hand. "I'll be fine. It wouldn't be the first time I've managed without sleep."

"Oooh," Rebecca practically purred, wiggling her eyebrows. "Not the first time you've managed without sleep, eh?"

"Not like that!" Jason cried out, grabbing a pillow from the couch and hurling it at Rebecca.

It passed right through her. She turned around and watched it continue its path across the room before hitting a wall. "I don't think that's why they're called throw pillows, Jason," she said, smirking. Jason groaned, but the pun earned a laugh from Thomas.

"Can we focus, please? We should set up watch again and see if we find him. If he is a ghost, maybe he's haunting the area. Do ghosts actually do that?"

Rebecca shrugged. "I'm here, aren't I? This was my apartment before I died and I stayed."

"Yeah," Thomas interjected, "but I'm pretty sure he didn't live in Walter's Printing Press."

"Well, it isn't like I have to haunt this place. If I wanted, I could've haunted the ice cream shop down the street. Come to think of it, that doesn't seem like such a bad idea..."

Jason sighed. "How many times do I have to redirect this conversation? Seriously, this is important."

"Just trying to lighten the mood and distract from our near-impossible situation," she said.

Jason put up his hands in surrender and sat back. "Hey, this was your idea. If you want to give up, that's perfectly fine by m—"

"No," Rebecca snapped, suddenly serious. "I am... we are not giving up on this, alright?

Jason nodded sharply. "Alright, so here's the plan. We get more caffeine in our systems. We ask around and see if we can find anything else out. We stake out again. If all goes well, we'll see him and come back once or twice to make sure he comes regularly. Then, we corner him in the building. Is it possible for you to keep him from disappearing?"

Rebecca nodded. "I think so."

"Alright," Thomas said. "If that's all settled, let's get going."

The trio wound up at the café once again, but this time Jason was sent in to get coffee while Rebecca and Thomas scouted nearby stores for energy drinks. While they were shopping, each would strike up conversation with random passersby and direct it to the topic of Oswald Smith. That was the plan, at least. The fact that the café was completely deserted with the exception of the barista complicated that slightly. Jason made his way hesitantly forward, examining the barista as he did. He seemed around Jason's age and had dark olive skin and brown hair that almost looked black. His green eyes seemed to dart over Jason for a moment before his face morphed into a wolfish grin. "Do you see something you like?" he asked with a strangely accented voice, letting Jason know his inspection had not gone unnoticed.