A New Home

Jason took a deep breath as he crossed the threshold of his new apartment. As he looked around the room, he couldn't help but think it looked like an abandoned shell. That's alright, Jason thought, a bit of furniture and this place will feel like home. He started to feel almost excited to make this place his own. The daunting task of unpacking, however, was one he was not looking forward to tackling.

He sighed, taking in the sight of the empty room for another moment, and then exited to go assist the men outside who were unloading the moving van.

As he did, however, he was unaware of the unblinking eyes that were watching him as he shut the door and deaf to the mischievous chuckling that accompanied them.

When Jason had been trying to find an apartment, the small building next to the city park had caught his eye. Close to his new job, a nice view, just the right amount of space. It was perfect. Not to mention, it was cheap. Once he was prepared to buy it, however, the previous owner insisted upon meeting him in person. And so they did.

      A place of meeting was chosen (a small café) and a date (the following Tuesday). The previous owner was a kind, nervous woman with motherly eyes and a sweet smile. She shook his hand and introduced herself as Susan Fields.

     "I suppose you were wondering," she said as they sat down, "why I asked you here today. I just wanted to give you some advice and tell you a bit about the apartment you'll be moving into."

"Um... Ok," he replied, somewhat awkwardly.

"Well," Susan began riffling through her purse until she found a small piece of paper. A list. "Ah, yes. Here we go. Now let's see... The sink in the kitchen leaks. The bathroom sometimes overflows if you aren't careful. And..." She trailed off after a moment and looked at him.

"Yes? And what?" He inquired.

She cleared her throat and put down the list. "Let's just get straight to it then. The apartment is haunted." Jason nearly spit out his coffee.

"The apartment is what?"

"Haunted." She said it just as calmly as she had informed him the sink leaked.

"By, like, and actual ghost?" he asked, trying to keep himself from laughing.

"I can see you don't believe me," she said harshly as she rose from her seat. "But never say you weren't warned. And, whatever you do, do not move the blue laptop from its current position on the counter. No matter what." She smoothed her skirt. "Good day to you, sir. And good luck."

And with that she was gone, leaving him alone at the café table with a head full of questions and a stomach full of coffee.